Travel is sponsored by the university when the purpose of the travel is to represent the university or further the university’s interests, which includes attendance at conferences and workshops.
Employees and students traveling on university business must follow the these procedures for all SHSU business, athletic, and group travel.
As a traveler you are responsible for monitoring potential symptoms or exposure to COVID19 and must follow all University COVID19 protocols. Details related to pre-approval requirements and return to campus plans can be found on COVID-19 webpages.
All university-sponsored travel originating on or after January 1, 2021 must be approved in advance in accordance with the following protocol.
- Confirm funding source to determine travel guidelines. Allowable expenses and approval routing vary by the funding source.
- Obtain GSA Lodging and Meal Per Diem Rates. Search location at gsa.gov
- Calculate allowable travel expenses. What's allowable?
- Obtain cost comparison, if applicable. What to compare?
- Confirm available travel budget. How to find budget availability
After submitting Pre-Approval report, the report will be routed to appropriate approvers. You'll receive an email once the report is approved or rejected.
Once you're approved, you'll need to:
- Register for conference/event.
- Book airfare, lodging, and/or rental car.
Travelers are responsible for ensuring expenses are within approved allowance.
During your travel, you'll need to:
- Provide Hotel Occupancy Tax Exemption Form to Texas hotels. Tax charges will not be paid by the university for hotels in Texas. Print Now
- Keep receipts. Use the Chrome River SNAP App to keep track of receipts.
- Report Student Travel. Per Clery Act compliance, submit overnight student travel details upon check-out. Submit Online Now
Travelers must submit an Expense Report for out of pocket and travel card transactions within 30 days of travel end date.
Upon return, you'll need to:
- Review Chrome River eWallet. Ensure all travel card charges posted.
- Attach all receipts. Add receipts from SNAP library and upload remaining receipts.