Sam Houston State University, as a function of the Student Service Fee paid by students, provides legal counsel by a licensed attorney who is dedicated to advising currently enrolled SHSU students about their legal rights and responsibilities. This office also provides mediation services and conflict resolution training. All of these services are available to students who are currently enrolled at SHSU and have paid the Student Service Fee at the time they seek advice.
SLMS is an award-winning office, including the prestigious J. Raymond Schiflett III Award for Outstanding Office of the Year by the University Student Legal Services Association-Western Region. View other awards that SLMS has won here: SLMS Awards.
How We Help Students
- Legal Consultation
- The majority of our advising is in a one-on-one consultation, reviewing individual concerns, discussing the potential legal issues and providing information on the next action steps/solutions. Make an appointment on Campus Connect today!
- Legal Speaker for your Programs
- Student Legal & Mediation Services is available to speak on legal issues or recommend other expert speakers, for student organization meetings and classes.
- Student Legal & Mediation Services also offers mediation. This is a fast, economical, and confidential way to resolve disputes. If all parties agree, we can provide mediation for student to student, as well as student to group disputes.
- Notary Services
- Limited notary services are available free of charge for current SHSU students, faculty and staff.
- Background Report Services
- Student Legal & Mediation Services will provide currently-enrolled SHSU students with a background report where they can check for identity theft and other issues.
SLMS Legal Guide
All matters presented to Student Legal & Mediation Services are confidential, unless required to be disclosed by law.
Information provided at this site does not constitute legal advice. It is intended for informational and educational purposes only. Every situation is unique, and if you need specific legal advice, please consult an attorney of your choice. Our ability to keep the information contained at this site updated and the accuracy of the information cannot be guaranteed. Neither the downloading of materials nor any communication constitutes the formation of an attorney-client relationship.