The mission of the Electronics and Computer Engineering Technology Program at Sam Houston State University is to foster Engineering Technology leaders through quality and application oriented breadth of education and experience to contribute to the advancement of Electrical, Electronics and Computer Engineering Technology in support of Hardware, Software, and Systems Engineering.
Program Educational Objectives
- Graduates will apply their theoretical knowledge of electrical and electronics devices, circuits, and systems to test, troubleshooting, analyze, interpret, improve, and design electronics and computer engineering technology.
- Graduates will employ standard analysis and design techniques widely used in ECET area and will apply basic principles of science and mathematics to solve non-standard problems.
- Graduates will employ modern information technologies to acquire electrical and electronics data and materials worldwide.
- Graduates will collaborate with other professionals as members of technical teams and will communicate effectively with both oral and writing skills.
- Graduates will analyze and manage technical projects using accepted, quantitatively-based methods, and commercial and custom software for project management in the related engineering technology.
- Graduates will grow professionally through self-study, continuing education, participation in professional societies, and the pursuit of possible professional registration or licensure.
- Graduates will consider the social and ethical implications of their work and will comply with all codes and regulations governing their work.
- Students will possess problem solving skills involving analysis, design, and simulation, laboratory experimentation with applications to electrical and electronic components, circuits, and systems.
- Students will have an ability to apply programming languages, modern computer tools and techniques to solve applied engineering problems.
- Students will be capable of applying creativity in the design of components and systems based on specified requirements and known design techniques.
- Students will have an ability to design and carry out experiments and tests, analyze and interpret data, and make iterative improvements by using safe and technically correct laboratory methods.
- Students will have knowledge of fundamental principles of science and mathematics and apply them to solve practical problems of engineering technology.
Students will apply project management techniques to analyze and manage the progress of electrical, electronic, and computer system design and development projects.
- Students will identify and use appropriate technical literature with the help of modern information technologies, and produce clear, precise, and effective technical documents and oral presentations for both professional and general audience.
- Students will collaborate with each other in laboratory and classroom settings to work effectively in teams.
- Student will have knowledge of quality and continuous improvement, and can manage their project involvement, demonstrating project and time management skills and leadership on individual team projects.
- Students will have an appreciation for arts, humanities, and their own and other cultures, and will have knowledge of economics, professional and ethical responsibilities as applied to both engineering technology and society as a whole.
- Students will have the preparation and an understanding of importance to continuously update their knowledge through their careers and have an ability to engage in lifelong learning.
Enrollment and Graduation Statistics (2017~2020)
|Fall 2017||Spring 2018||Summer 2018||Fall 2018||Spring 2019||Summer 2019||Fall 2019||Spring 2020||Summer 2020||Fall 2020|
Employment prospects for the ECET graduates are abundant not only in Texas, but all across the United States and the world. The Bachelor of Science degree in the ECET qualifies graduates for entry-level positions in areas such as Electrical, Electronics, Computer Engineering Technology technical sales and writing, purchasing, industrial supervision, production, testing, operating, maintaining, instrumentation, interfacing, quality control, and other related areas of the variety of industrial settings.
Potential Career Titles:
- Electronic Engineering Technologist
- Systems Analyst
- Instrumentation Engineer
- Control Technician
- Plant Engineer
- Electronics Technician
- Production Engineer
- Quality Control Engineer
- Technical Sales Representative
- Technical Sales Engineer
- Control Technologist
- Application Engineer
- Test Engineer
- Power Systems Planner
- Technical Writer
- Airway Transportation Systems Specialist
- Solar Power System and Wind Turbine Systems Installer & Operator
- Component Failure Analyst
- Electrical Systems Project Engineer
Potential Companies for Employment:
- John Deere
- Continental Tire
- Johnson and Johnson
A minor concentration in Electronics is also offered. For more information on those course requirements click here.