The mission of the Engineering Technology program with Electronics Concentration (ETEE) at Sam Houston State University is to prepare future workforce for industrial automation and controls systems, instrumentation, electronic communication, energy and power systems through quality education with hands-on experience.
ETEE Plan of Study
Click here to see the plan of study flow chart for the Engineering Technology Program, Electronics Concentration.
Program Educational Objectives
- Graduates will apply their theoretical knowledge of electrical and electronics devices, circuits, and systems to test, troubleshoot, analyze, interpret, improve, and design electronics and computer engineering technology.
- Graduates will employ standard analysis and design techniques widely used in electrical, electronics, and computer fields and will apply basic principles of science and mathematics to solve non-standard problems.
- Graduates will collaborate with other professionals as members of technical teams and will communicate effectively with both oral and writing skills.
- Graduates will grow professionally through self-study, continuing education, participation in professional societies, and the pursuit of possible professional registration or licensure.
- Graduates will consider the social and ethical implications of their work and will comply with all codes and regulations governing their work.
- Students will possess problem solving skills involving analysis, design, and simulation, laboratory experimentation with applications to electrical and electronic components, circuits, and systems.
- Students will be capable of applying creativity in the design of components and systems based on specified requirements and known design techniques.
- Students will have an ability to design and carry out experiments and tests, analyze and interpret data, and make iterative improvements by using safe and technically correct laboratory methods.
- Students will have knowledge of fundamental principles of science and mathematics and apply them to solve practical problems of engineering technology.
Students will apply project management techniques to analyze and manage the progress of electrical, electronic, and computer system design and development projects.
- Students will identify and use appropriate technical literature with the help of modern information technologies, and produce clear, precise, and effective technical documents and oral presentations for both professional and general audience.
- Students will collaborate with each other in laboratory and classroom settings to work effectively in teams.
- Student will have knowledge of quality and continuous improvement, and can manage their project involvement, demonstrating project and time management skills and leadership on individual team projects.
- Students will have an appreciation for arts, humanities, and their own and other cultures, and will have knowledge of economics, professional and ethical responsibilities as applied to both engineering technology and society as a whole.
- Students will have the preparation and an understanding of importance to continuously update their knowledge through their careers and have an ability to engage in lifelong learning.
Potential Career Titles
- Electronics and Engineering Technologist
- Systems Analyst
- Instrumentation Engineer
- Plant Engineer
- Electronics Technician
- Engineering Technician
- Production Engineer
- Quality Control Engineer
- Technical and Customer Service Engineer
- Control Technologist
- Application Engineer
- Test Engineer
- Field Service Technologist
- Power Systems Planner
- Solar and Wind Energy Systems Installer and & Operator
- Component Failure Analyst
- Electrical Systems Project Engineer
Potential Companies for Employment
- John Deere
- Continental Tire
- Johnson and Johnson
- Quanta Services
- Martin Company