College Level Examination Program
Sam Houston State University is an open national testing center for the College Level Examination Program (CLEP). SHSU accepts many of the CLEP Subject Exams for credit, but we do not accept most of the General Exams for credit (except in transfer from another college or university). All CLEP exams may be taken at SHSU, but only the CLEP Subject Exams listed below may be accepted for credit at SHSU according to this policy.
Sam Houston State University has a policy of accepting up to a maximum of thirty (30) hours of credit through a combination of national standardized examinations and/or locally designed and administered departmental tests. More than thirty (30) hours of credit by examination will be considered on an individual appeal basis. Policies are subject to change at any time. Please check this web site for the most current policy.
|SUBJECT EXAM TITLE||SHSU COURSE #||CREDIT HOURS
|American Government||POLS 2305||3|
|Analyzing & Interpreting Literature(+SHSU Essay)*||ENGL 1302||3|
|College Algebra||MATH 1314||3|
|College Composition Modular (+SHSU Essay)*||ENGL 1301||3|
|College Mathematics||MATH 1332, 1314||3, 3|
|Financial Accounting||ACCT 2301||3|
|French Language||FREN 1411, 1412, 2311, 2312||4 - 14|
|German Language||GER 1411, 1412, 2311, 2312||4 - 14|
|Human Growth and Development||PSYC 3374||3|
|Information Systems & Computer Applications||COSC 1436||4|
|Introductory Business Law||BUAD 2301||3|
|Introductory Psychology||PSYC 1301||3|
|Introductory Sociology||SOCI 1301||3|
|Principles of Macro Economics||ECON 2301||3|
|Principles of Microeconomics||ECON 2302||3|
|Spanish Language||SPAN 1411, 1412, 2311, 2312||4 - 14|
|U. S. History I: Early Colonization to 1877||HIST 1301||3|
|U. S. History II: 1865 to Present||HIST 1302||3|
|Western Civilization I: Ancient Near East to 1648||HIST 2311||3|
|Western Civilization II: 1648 to the Present||HIST 2312||3|
Essay prompts for the following exams are created by the English Department at Sam Houston State University and are for SHSU use only. Due to this limitation, examinees signing up for the essay portion only for either of the listed exams must be a SHSU student with a valid Sam ID number. If you are not a SHSU student, you are allowed to take the multiple-choice section only for Analyzing and Interpreting Literature and College Composition Modular. Non-SHSU students will need to contact their respective school regarding essay requirements.
- Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
- College Composition Modular
TEST DAYS AND TIMES:
- Monday - Friday
- Schedule: Various times from 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Students need to report to the testing site at least 15-30 minutes prior to their scheduled testing time on their scheduled testing date.
- Dates and/or times are subject to change
- Students planning to graduate should take the CLEP at least two weeks prior to graduation.
- $30.00 (non-transferable, non-refundable)
- Appointments for taking a test may be made via the Testing Center website; Click here to register
- Rescheduling will incur another registration/administration/ test fee payment.
- $89.00 per test (this payment is separate from the registration/administration fee)
- Must be paid via the College Board website before signing up at the Testing Center; visit the CLEP My Account website; Upon payment, you will receive a CLEP Ticket ID which is required during the registration process via the Testing Center website.
- Current/unexpired government-issued photo ID (driver’s license, passport, state-issued ID, military ID, national ID, or tribal ID)
- CLEP Ticket ID
ACCEPTABLE SCORES AND CREDIT:
Acceptable scores for CLEP exams are determined by the American Council on Education's "ACE Score" which appears on the score report. The only exception affecting the recommended score is with the English exams which require an essay before credit may be considered. The English Department will make a final decision about awarding credit based on a combination of the scores from the computer portion of the test and the essay portion of the test.
Also, the Foreign Languages Department has mandated the following specifications for credit on the CLEP foreign language exams:
Score 50-56 (Credit for 1411)
Score 57-62 (Credit for 1411 and 1412)
Score 63-70 (Credit for 1411, 1412, and 2311)
Score 71-80 (Credit for 1411, 1412, 2311, and 2312)
Credit will not be awarded for an exam if the student has taken the course and received a grade and/or credit for the course. Specific course prefixes, numbers, and credit hours will be awarded for acceptable scores, but no grades will be awarded.
ADDITIONAL SCORE REPORTS: There is a charge for additional score reports. To order a score report or receive additional information:
- USE: the Transcript Request Form at the bottom of your original score report
- WRITE: CLEP Transcript Request Service, P. O. Box 6600, Princeton, NJ 08541-6600
- CALL: 609) 771-7865 or 1-800-257-9558
- EMAIL: email@example.com
- FAX: (609) 771-7088.
- The College Board has a policy of waiting 90 days from the date of an exam in order to retake a CLEP exam and SHSU strictly adheres to this policy. Examinees are responsible for knowing and adhering to the retake policy.
- The English Department at SHSU requires handwritten essays which have a retake policy of 30 days. Examinees are responsible for knowing and adhering to the retake policy.
- Visit our website at shsu.edu/testing.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visit the office located in Academic Building IV, Room 102
- Call (936) 294-1025
- Write to the Testing Center, Box 2240 SHSU, Huntsville, Texas 77341-2240
CLEP WEB SITE: