ADVANCED PLACEMENT PROGRAM (AP)
(Sam Houston State University Policy Information – Revised 01/12/2018)
Sam Houston State University will award college credit for the College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB) Advanced Placement Examinations based on the score(s) received. SHSU does not administer AP exams. AP exams are administered at designated high schools. Check with your local high school to inquire whether or not they administer AP exams.
Only the AP exams listed below will be accepted for credit at SHSU. Sam Houston State University has a policy of accepting up to a maximum of thirty (30) hours of credit through a combination of national standardized examinations and/or locally designed and administered departmental tests. More than thirty (30) hours of credit by examination will be considered on an individual appeal basis. Policies are subject to change at any time.
|ADVANCED PLACEMENT EXAM||SHSU COURSE #||CREDIT|
|Art--General, Studio, Drawing, Design, etc. (review of portfolio required)||Departmental approval||3|
|Art, History||ARTS 1303 (1301 if already have received credit for 1303)||3|
|Biology||BIOL 1411 and 1413||8|
|Chemistry||CHEM 1411 and 1412||8|
|Chinese Language||FOLG 1411, 1412, 2311, 2312||4-14|
|Comparative Government & Politics||POLS 2000||3|
|Computer Science A||COSC 1436||4|
|Computer Science Principles||COSC 1436||4|
|English, Language and Composition||ENGL 1301||3|
|English, Literature and Composition||ENGL 1302||3|
|Environmental Science||BIOL 1401||4|
|French, Language||FREN 1411, 1412, 2311, 2312||4-14|
|German, Language||GERM 1411, 1412, 2311, 2312||4-14|
|Government and Politics, United States||POLS 2305||3|
|History, United States||HIST 1301, 1302||6|
|History, World||HIST 2311||3|
|Human Geography||GEOG 1321||3|
|Italian Language||FOLG 1411, 1412, 2311, 2312||4-14|
|Japanese Language||FOLG 1411, 1412, 2311, 2312||4-14|
|Latin Language||FOLG 1411, 1412, 2311, 2312||4-14|
|Mathematics, Calculus AB||MATH 1420||4|
|Mathematics, Calculus BC||MATH 1420 and 1430||8|
|Physics 1||PHYS 1301||3|
|Physics 2||PHYS 1302||3|
|Physics C, Mechanics||PHYS 1411||4|
|Physics C, Electricity and Magnetism||PHYS 1422||4|
|Spanish, Language||SPAN 1411, 1412, 2311, 2312||4-14|
|Statistics||STAT (or MATH) 1369||3|
- GENERAL INFORMATION
- The Advanced Placement (AP) examinations are taken prior to the student's high school graduation at designated test centers.
- Information on the CEEB Advanced Placement Examinations may be obtained from high school counselors or by visiting the AP web site.
- Specific course prefixes, numbers, and credit hours will be awarded for acceptable scores but no grades will be awarded.
- Credit will not be awarded for an exam if the student has taken the course and received a grade and/or credit for the course.
- ACCEPTABLE SCORES AND CREDIT
- An official Advanced Placement score report must be received before credit will be awarded.
- The following scores are required in order to receive credit for AP exams at SHSU:
A score of 4 or above is required for: Art (majors)
A score of 3 or above is required for:
Arabic Language Italian Language Portuguese Language Chinese Language Japanese Language Russian Language French Language Korean Language Spanish Language German Language Latin Language
Score breakdown for foreign languages:
3 = 1411
4 = 1411, 1412
5 = 1411, 1412, 2311, and 2312
A score of 3 or above:
- Art (non-majors)
- All other subjects accepted at SHSU
- AP CONTACT INFORMATION
- WRITE: AP Services, P. O. Box 6671, Princeton, New Jersey 08541-6671
- EMAIL: email@example.com;
- CALL: 1 (877) 274-6474 or (609) 771-7300
- FAX: (610) 290-8979
- ADDITIONAL INFORMATION