Advanced Placement Program (AP)
ADVANCED PLACEMENT PROGRAM (AP)
(Sam Houston State University Policy Information – Revised 01/12/2018)
Sam Houston State University will award college credit for the College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB) Advanced Placement Examinations based on the score(s) received. SHSU does not administer AP exams. AP exams are administered at designated high schools. Check with your local high school to inquire whether or not they administer AP exams.
Only the AP exams listed below will be accepted for credit at SHSU. Sam Houston State University has a policy of accepting up to a maximum of thirty (30) hours of credit through a combination of national standardized examinations and/or locally designed and administered departmental tests. More than thirty (30) hours of credit by examination will be considered on an individual appeal basis. Policies are subject to change at any time.
- EXAMS ACCEPTED/CREDIT AWARDED
ADVANCED PLACEMENT EXAM SHSU COURSE # CREDIT
Art--General, Studio, Drawing, Design, etc. (review of portfolio required) Departmental approval 3 Art, History ARTS 1303 (1301 if already have received credit for 1303) 3 Biology BIOL 1406 and 1407 8 Chemistry CHEM 1411 and 1412 8 Chinese Language FOLG 1411, 1412, 2311, 2312 4-14 Comparative Government & Politics POLS 2000 3 Computer Science A COSC 1436 4 Computer Science Principles COSC 1436 4 English, Language and Composition ENGL 1301 3 English, Literature and Composition ENGL 1302 3 Environmental Science BIOL 1401 4 French, Language FREN 1411, 1412, 2311, 2312 4-14 German, Language GERM 1411, 1412, 2311, 2312 4-14 Government and Politics, United States POLS 2305 3 History, United States HIST 1301, 1302 6 History, World HIST 2312 3 Human Geography GEOG 1300 3 Italian Language FOLG 1411, 1412, 2311, 2312 4-14 Japanese Language FOLG 1411, 1412, 2311, 2312 4-14 Latin Language FOLG 1411, 1412, 2311, 2312 4-14 Mathematics, Calculus AB MATH 1420 4 Mathematics, Calculus BC MATH 1420 and 1430 8 Macroeconomics ECON 2301 3 Microeconomics ECON 2302 3 Physics 1 PHYS 1301 3 Physics 2 PHYS 1302 3 Physics C, Mechanics PHYS 1411 4 Physics C, Electricity and Magnetism PHYS 1422 4 Psychology PSYC 1301 3 Spanish, Language SPAN 1411, 1412, 2311, 2312 4-14 Statistics MATH 1342 3
- GENERAL INFORMATION
- The Advanced Placement (AP) examinations are taken prior to the student's high school graduation at designated test centers.
- Information on the CEEB Advanced Placement Examinations may be obtained from high school counselors or by visiting the AP web site.
- Letter grades A and B take precedence over credit-by-exam.
- Credit-by-Exam will automatically replace letter grades D and F. If a letter grade of C is listed on the transcript for a course in which credit-by-exam is also applicable, the C will take precedence over the credit-by-exam. Students will have the option to request credit (via credit-by-exam) in lieu of letter grade C. The student will have to initiate the change and work with the respective department and Admissions to finalize the change.
- Although credit-by-exam replaces letter grades C, D, and F, it does not remove the letter grade from the transcript.
- Specific course prefixes, numbers, and credit hours will be awarded for acceptable scores but no grades will be awarded
- ACCEPTABLE SCORES AND CREDIT
- An official Advanced Placement score report must be received before credit will be awarded.
- The following scores are required in order to receive credit for AP exams at SHSU:
A score of 4 or above is required for: Art (majors)
A score of 3 or above is required for:
Arabic Language Italian Language Portuguese Language Chinese Language Japanese Language Russian Language French Language Korean Language Spanish Language German Language Latin Language
Score breakdown for foreign languages:
3 = 1411
4 = 1411, 1412
5 = 1411, 1412, 2311, and 2312
A score of 3 or above:
- Art (non-majors)
- All other subjects accepted at SHSU
- AP CONTACT INFORMATION
- WRITE: AP Services, P. O. Box 6671, Princeton, New Jersey 08541-6671
- EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- CALL: 1 (888) 225-5427 or (212) 632-1780
- FAX: (610) 290-8979
- ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
- Visit our website at shsu.edu/testing
- Email email@example.com
- Visit the office located in Academic Building IV, Room 102
- Call (936) 294-1025
- Write to the Testing Center, Box 2240 SHSU, Huntsville, Texas 77341-2240
AP WEB SITE: https://apstudents.collegeboard.org/