SAT Subject Tests
SAT Subject Tests
SAT Subject Tests are no longer offered in the United States or abroad. SHSU will still accept valid SAT Subject Tests score reports under the following guidelines.
Sam Houston State University has a policy of accepting up to a maximum of 30 hours of credit through a combination of national standardized examinations and/or locally designed and administered departmental tests. More than 30 hours of credit by examination will be considered on an individual appeal basis. Policies are subject to change at any time.
- SAT Subject Tests are content-based tests that allow you to showcase achievement in specific subject areas where you excel.
- After submission of SAT Subject Tests scores to the university, students must contact the Testing Center at firstname.lastname@example.org in order for credit to be applied. Only the SAT Subject exams listed below will be accepted for credit at SHSU.
- Letter grades A and B take precedence over credit-by-exam.
- Credit-by-Exam will automatically replace letter grades D and F. If a letter grade of C is listed on the transcript for a course in which credit-by-exam is also applicable, the C will take precedence over the credit-by-exam. Students will have the option to request credit (via credit-by-exam) in lieu of letter grade C. The student will have to initiate the change and work with the respective department and Admissions to finalize the change.
- Although credit-by-exam replaces letter grades C, D, and F, it does not remove the letter grade from the transcript.
- Specific course prefixes, numbers, and credit hours will be awarded for acceptable scores but no grades will be awarded.
|SUBJECT EXAM TITLE||MINIMUM SCORE REQUIRED||SHSU COURSE #||CREDIT HOURS AWARDED|
|CHEMISTRY||680||CHEM 1311 (no lab credit awarded)||3|
1411, 1412, 2311
|4, 4, 3|
|4, 4, 3, 3|
*Foreign languages SAT Subject Exams:
French (FREN), German (GERM), Spanish (SPAN), Modern Hebrew (FOLG), Italian (FOLG), Latin (FOLG), Chinese (FOLG) Japanese (FOLG), and Korean (FOLG)