Sam Houston State University is a testing center for the DSST exams. All DSST exams may be taken at SHSU, but only the DSST exams listed below will be accepted for credit at SHSU.
Sam Houston State University has a policy of accepting up to a maximum of thirty (30) hours of credit through a combination of national standardized examinations and/or locally designed and administered departmental tests. More than thirty (30) hours of credit by examination will be considered on an individual appeal basis. Policies are subject to change at any time.
SHSU COURSE DEPARTMENT
Astronomy PHYS 1311 (no lab credit) 3 Criminal Justice CRIJ 2361
Ethics in America PHIL 2306 3 Fundamentals of Counseling PSYC 2305 3 General Anthropology SOCI 3381 3 Human/Cultural Geography GEOG 1300 3 Introduction to Law Enforcement CRIJ 2367 3 Introduction to World Religions SOCI 3342 3 Lifespan Developmental Psychology PSYC 3374 3 Substance Abuse CRIJ 4362 3 Technical Writing ENGL 3330 3
- $30.00 (non-transferable, non-refundable)
- Registration for the computer-based DSST exam can be made online at www.shsu.edu/centers/testing-center
- Seating is limited and registrations are done on a first-come, first-served basis
- Rescheduling will require a payment of another registration/administration/test fee
- $100.00 per test (this payment is separate from the registration/administration fee)
- Payment for the computer-based DSST exams must be paid by credit card only (Visa, MasterCard, or American Express) and are due on the scheduled test day
- Letter grades A and B take precedence over credit-by-exam.
- Credit-by-Exam will automatically replace letter grades D and F. If a letter grade of C is listed on the transcript for a course in which credit-by-exam is also applicable, the C will take precedence over the credit-by-exam. Students will have the option to request credit (via credit-by-exam) in lieu of letter grade C. The student will have to initiate the change and work with the respective department and Admissions to finalize the change.
- Although credit-by-exam replaces letter grades C, D, and F, it does not remove the letter grade from the transcript.
- Specific course prefixes, numbers, and credit hours will be awarded for acceptable scores but no grades will be awarded
- Students planning to graduate should take the DSST at least two weeks prior to graduation.
- Testing Days and Times (Huntsville Campus)
- Current, unexpired picture identification (i.e., driver’s license, passport, state-issued ID, military ID, student ID, etc.)
- Second form of ID (i.e., any of the previously listed photo IDs, social security card, birth certificate, credit/debit card, library card, etc.)
Acceptable Scores and Credit
- Acceptable scores for DSST exams are determined by the American Council on Education’s “minimum score for awarding credit.” Acceptable scores range from 44-49 or 400
- Credit will not be awarded for an exam if the student has already taken the course and received credit and/or a grade in the course
Additional Score Reports
There is a charge for additional score reports. To order a score report or receive additional information:
- DOWNLOAD: a transcript request form from www.getcollegecredit.com.
- WRITE: DSST Program, 664 Rosedale Road MS-23P, Princeton, NJ 08541-6604
- CALL: 1 (866) 794-3497
- FAX: (609) 720-6800
- Educational Testing Services/Prometric has a policy of waiting 30-days from the date of an exam to retake a DSST exam
- The examinee is responsible for knowing and adhering to the retake policy
- Registration/administration/test fee applies
- Additional Information
- DSST Website