Fall 2020 Commencement
Coliseum Clear Bag Policy
There is a clear bag policy in place at the Johnson Coliseum (clear bag no larger than 12x12x6 or purse no larger than 4.5x6.5) and there will be a security bag check prior to entering.
List of Prohibited Items
- Outside Food and Drinks
- Large Bags
In accordance with CDC guidelines and the University’s COVID-19 Work Group, face coverings are no longer required, but recommended, along with social distancing, for those not vaccinated.
- Commencement is a ceremonious occasion honoring important educational accomplishments. Decorum and courtesy are important to you and your family, as well as your fellow degree candidates and their families. Students and guests are expected to maintain a measure of decorum consonant with the occasion.
- Out of respect for all degree candidates, once seated, all participants are expected to stay until the conclusion of the ceremony.
- all participants are expected to stay until the conclusion of the ceremony which is marked by the candidate recessional.
- Adherence to the university’s alcohol policy is expected.
- Improper attire, signs and insignia will be monitored and may be removed.
- Cell phones and other electronic equipment should be silenced.
- All candidates should plan to meet their guests outside Johnson Coliseum following the ceremony. Guests are not allowed on the arena floor or the stage and will be asked to exit the coliseum quickly to meet your graduate.
- Students are expected to wear appropriate clothing beneath their regalia.
- Students and guests are expected to refrain from disruptive behavior.
- Students are expected to return to their seats after the on-stage presentation and remain seated for the duration of the ceremony.
- Sam Houston State University maintains the proud and historic tradition of permitting degree candidates to shake hands with the President as their name is spoken. However, graduates should not feel compelled to shake hands if they are uncomfortable doing so.
- Family members and/or guests are not permitted on the arena floor.
- The last degree candidate is equally as important as the first, so please be considerate.
- We ask that all guests remain seated for the entire ceremony.
Summer 2021 FAQs
What should graduates bring or not bring to Commencement?
What to Bring and What Not to Bring
- Bring your graduation cap (with tassel), appropriate gown, and appropriate hood (masters and doctoral candidates), and hat (doctoral candidates).
- Purses and backpacks are not permitted on the coliseum floor. Items left unattended in the line-up rooms of the HKC are not the responsibility of the graduation personnel.
- Where will the August Commencement ceremonies be held?
I am graduating. When should I arrive?
Graduates should check-in at the Health and Kinesiology Center at least one hour prior to their scheduled ceremony. Signage will be posted in the general area to follow to the check-in location.
- How do I know which college ceremony to attend?
Will tickets be required for guests?
More information regarding guest tickets will be available within the next several weeks. This FAQ will be updated with more information as soon as it is available.
How can I request disability accommodations for the Commencement ceremonies at the Bernard G. Johnson Coliseum?
Graduates may request reasonable accommodations through the Office of the Registrar.
Do I need to wear regalia to the ceremony?
Yes, SHSU approved regalia can be ordered through Herff Jones prior to the commencement ceremony.
To ensure you have regalia in time for the ceremony, purchase your regalia by July 5, 2021.
When should my guests arrive?
Guests should arrive approximately 30 minutes to 1 hour prior to the ceremony.
Will the August ceremonies be livestreamed?
Yes, the ceremony will be live and immediately available for on-demand viewing. After the ceremony, the video will be archived on the university’s Commencement website.
When will I receive my diploma?
Actual diplomas will be mailed to the permanent legal address on record (check your permanent legal address) approximately eight weeks after commencement. Students should confirm address information prior to the last day of the term in order to ensure diplomas are mailed to the correct address.
Are there established social media hashtags?
#SHSU21. We would love for you to share photos of yourself in your regalia, with your family, making commencement memories. You can share those with us on social media using our hashtag.
Are noise makers allowed?
As a courtesy to all graduates, we do not allow noise makers during the graduation ceremonies.