Enrollment Verification Information

What is Enrollment Verification?

Current and Former Students and Alumni

Enrollment Verifications serve as proof of your status as a student, available after Census Day for each respective term. Insurance companies, loan agencies and other organizations may require a verification in order for you to be eligible for certain benefits. In some cases, verification may be necessary to prove that you did not attend Sam Houston State University.

The most common reasons for requesting an enrollment verification include:

  • Student loan agencies, scholarships and insurance companies wanting to know if a student is enrolled
  • Scholarship committees wanting to know if a student maintained a certain GPA

NOTE: Registration alone does not constitute enrollment. To be considered enrolled, a student must:

  • Be registered for and currently attending classes
  • Have fulfilled their financial obligation to the university for the semester

Determining Full-time/Part-time Status

  • Undergraduate students must be enrolled in 12 hours to be considered full-time.
  • Graduate students must be enrolled in nine hours to be considered full-time.
  • Six hours is considered half-time for both undergraduate and graduate students.

Course Load for Graduate Assistants

Graduate students employed by the University at least half-time as graduate assistants, research assistants, or teaching assistants should enroll in a minimum of six graduate credit hours per term to be considered full-time graduate students. The maximum course load for graduate assistants on half-time employment is nine credit hours per fall or spring term or six credit hours during the summer.

Graduate assistants on less than a half-time assistantship may have the maximum course load authorization increased proportionately by the appropriate department/school chair. For more information on the employment of graduate assistants refer to Academic Policy Statement 890303 

Requests Before Census Day

Enrollment verifications are available after Census Day for each term. Until then, a Letter of Intent may be requested through the Registrar’s Office at registrar@shsu.edu.

How To Request Enrollment Verification

Enrollment Verification requests are available after Census Day. Please view the Academic Calendar to verify Census Day for the respective term.

With Sam ID - Current and Former Students, Alumni          ↑Back To Top

Enrollment verification through the National Student Clearinghouse includes term start date, term end date, enrollment status (full-time, half-time, less than half-time), expected graduation date, status effective date, and the date certified by SHSU for current and historical enrollment.

  • Log in to the National Student Clearinghouse website at https://samweb.shsu.edu/regr04wp/
    • Choose "Current enrollment" or "All enrollment"
    • Click "Obtain an enrollment certificate"
    • Save and Open the file
    • Print the form

Current and former students can also obtain proof of enrollment by ordering an official transcript online. Transcripts should also be used if the organization is requesting additional information, such as GPA.

Parents of Students, Former Students, and Alumni

Parents and former students may generate and print an Enrollment Verification Certificate via the web at studentclearinghouse.org. Select the “Verify Current Enrollment” option in the middle of the page after logging on to the site. A fee of $2.50 is charged by the Clearinghouse for this service.

Third Parties

Organizations (such as health insurance companies and prospective employers) can request enrollment verification directly from the National Student Clearinghouse at www.enrollmentverify.org. Select the “Verify Current Enrollment” option in the middle of the page after logging on to the site. A fee of $2.50 is charged by the Clearinghouse for this service.