Students attending Texas public institutions of higher education must be in compliance with the Texas Success Initiative (TSI). The law requires all entering college students to be assessed for college readiness in mathematics, reading, and writing unless the student qualifies for an exemption. To read the law in full, click here.
In order to be ADVISED and REGISTER, students must meet TSI requirements.
To view your current TSI status: Visit MySam and select the "Registration" tab. From the "Registration Toolbox" you can check your TSI status or view test scores.
TSI Request Form and Exemptions
Submitting TSI Assessment Scores
If you have previous TSI Assessment scores, you will need to submit the TSI Score Request Form to provide to Sam Houston State University with written permission to download and access your TSI Assessment results.
- Our office may be unable to locate your TSI Assessment scores if the details you provide on the form do not match the information you provided to the Testing Center where you completed the TSI Assessment.
- Please allow up to two business days for your TSI Assessment scores to be updated onto your Sam Houston State University student record.
You may already be exempt from TSI requirements based on your standardized testing scores or other criteria.
If you are not exempt, you must complete three steps in order to meet the TSI requirements:
- Step 1: Take the Pre-Assessment Activity.
- Step 2: Pass the quiz at the end of the Pre-Assessment Activity.
- Step 3: Take the TSI Assessment Test on-campus at the SHSU Testing Center or test at a community college closer to home using the Remote Test Application.
TSI Assessment Placement
If you DO NOT pass the TSI Assessment Test, you must follow a developmental education plan.
|Passing||350||351||340 w/Essay of 4||College Level Ready!|
|Developmental Coursework Required
Full-Term Co-Requisite Model Available
|340-349||342-350||0-339 w/Essay of 1-4||Co-Requisite Options
See Advisor for Details
|Developmental Coursework Required||0-339||0-341||N/A||MATH 0333
For immediate assistance, please contact the Registrar's Office: