Students attending Texas public institutions of higher education must be in compliance with the Texas Success Initiative (TSI). The law requires all students entering college to be assessed for college readiness in mathematics, reading, and writing unless the student qualifies for a waiver or exemption. To read the law in full, click here.
In order to be ADVISED and REGISTER, students must meet TSI requirements.
To view your current TSI status: Visit MySam and select the "Registration" tab. From there, select the "Continue to Registration" button to check for TSI holds withing your "Bearkat Registration Dashboard". You may also use DegreeWorks.
Submitting TSI and Exemption Scores
Submitting TSIA2 (TSI Assessment Version 2) Scores
- If you have previously taken the TSIA2, you will need to submit a TSI score request form. Submit TSI Score Request Form
- The TSI Score Request Form will provide Sam Houston State University with written permission to download and access your TSI Assessment results.
- Our office may be unable to locate your TSI Assessment scores if the details you provide on the form do not match the information you provided to the Testing Center where you completed the TSI Assessment.
- Please allow up to two business days for your TSI Assessment scores to be updated onto your Sam Houston State University student record.
- TSIA2 results are valid for the purposes of this title for five (5) years from date of testing. Texas Administrative Code Rule 4.57 Section F
Submitting TSI Scores
Submitting ACT or SAT Scores
- In the event you have taken the ACT exam and you believe you qualify for an ACT Exemption from the TSI, you can submit your ACT results by submitting the TSI Exemption Form.
- You can access your scores by logging into your ACT.org account. Please ensure your ACT results include your name, the date you took the exam, and all relevant scores.
- In the event you have taken the SAT exam and you believe you qualify for an SAT Exemption from the TSI, you can submit your SAT results by submitting the TSI Exemption Form.
- You can access your scores by logging into your College Board account. Please ensure your SAT results include your name, the date you took the exam, and all relevant scores.
Sending ACT Scores
Sending SAT Scores
TSI Exemptions and Waivers
- You may qualify for a TSI Exemption or Waiver based on your standardized testing scores or other criteria
- Determine if you qualify for a TSI Exemption or Waiver. TSI Exemption or Waivers
List of Exemptions and Waivers
Students Who Do Not Have A TSI Placement
Mandatory Pre-Assessment Activity (PAA)
- If you have not previously taken the TSI Assessment, you will first need to complete your Pre-Assessment Activity before you are eligible to sign up to take the TSI Assessment.
- For a complete list of instructions on how to complete the PAA, please visit the Sam Houston State University Pre-Assessment Activity website. Pre-Assessment Activity Page
Completing the PAA
Taking the TSI Assessment
- Once you have completed your Pre-Assessment Activity requirements, you will be able to schedule the TSI Assessment through the Sam Houston State University Testing Center.
- The Sam Houston State University Testing Center offers the TSI exam to students through both in person and remote testing options.
Next Step After We Receive Your Scores
- All incoming first time freshman and transfer students are required to meet with an academic advisor before they can register for classes.
- Students who have a not college ready status in any areas of the TSI are required to meet with an academic advisor before they can register for classes.
- Visit the SAM center website to set up an appointment with an academic advisor. Schedule Advising Appointment
Scheduling Your TSI Exam
If you DO NOT receive a college ready classification score from the TSIA2 Exam, you must follow a developmental education plan.
The Reading and Writing sections of the previous version of the TSI Assessment have been renamed and combined into one section titled "English Language Arts and Reading" for the TSIA2.
TSIA2 Placement Status Mathematics
English Language Arts and
College Ready 950
and Essay Score of 5
and Diagnostic Score of 6
and Essay Score of 5
and Diagnostic Score of 5
Not College Ready
See Advisor for Details
and Diagnostic Score of 1-5
ELAR 900 - 944
and Essay Score of 1-4
and Diagnostic Score of 1-4
For immediate assistance, please contact the Registrar's Office: