Audit a Class
A student auditing a course may attend lectures and other class meetings, take part in class discussions, and receive written confirmation of attendance. The student will not receive evaluations of participation and will not be allowed to submit assignments or take examinations and tests, except by special and express permission of the instructor.
An individual must receive prior approval from the appropriate department chair or the instructor involved in order to audit a course. Neither the instructor nor the University assumes responsibility for the academic progress of any person auditing a course. The audit fee for each course is $50; students 65 years of age or older may be exempt from paying the audit fee with an approved Senior Citizen Waiver.
Before You Audit a Class
Audit Forms are accepted the 2nd-12th class days during fall/spring/full summer (10wk) terms and the 2nd-4th class days during summer I & II terms. A request to audit a course will not be accepted if there are no seats available in the course at the time the form is processed in the Registrar’s Office.
An individual auditing a course:
- Is encouraged to attend all lectures and obtain the maximum educational benefit from the information presented.
- Is not permitted to take tests or examinations in the course being audited.
- Is authorized to receive a courtesy library card permitting use of the Newton Gresham Library for the duration of the course audit.
- Is not authorized to be issued a Sam Houston State University Student Identification Card unless also enrolled as a regular student at Sam Houston State University.
- Is not authorized to use Sam Houston State University medical, athletic, or recreational facilities unless also enrolled as a regular student at Sam Houston State University.
- Will not receive record of course audit (i.e. the course will not appear on a transcript), and no record of the audit will be kept in the Registrar’s Office.
Steps to Audit a Class
- Print or download the Audit Request Form.
- You must be accepted by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions as either a SHSU or Audit only student. If you are already a SHSU student, you do not have to be reaccepted.
- Audit Request Form must be fully complete with the required Professor or Chair signature. An email confirmation from the respective Chair or Professor will be accepted if the course is an online course, however the fully completed form would still be required.
- Audit Request Forms are received between the 2nd-12th class days during fall/spring/full summer (10wk) semesters and the 2nd-4th class days during summer I & II semesters. If a seat is available, the Audit Request Form will be processed and a $50.00 per course payment must be paid to the Bursar’s Office. You will be notified via email when the form has been processed.