Institutional Animal Care & Use Committee
The mission of the SHSU Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) is to oversee the provisions for the care and well-being of animals used for research and educational purposes. The IACUC is committed to ensuring that quality animal research is conducted in an ethical and responsible manner. The IACUC is also committed to ensuring institutional compliance with legal standards as outlined in the Animal Welfare Act (AWA), Public Health Service Policy (PHS) and the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals regarding the use of animals for research and teaching. The IACUC serves as a resource for investigative staff regarding best practices and regulatory requirements and supports the research community.
Contact ORSP for assistance or additional information at 936-294-4875 or email@example.com.
Responsibilities of the IACUC
The IACUC, a federally mandated committee, is charged with oversight of all aspects of the institution’s animal care and use program, facilities, and procedures. The regulations of the AWA and PHS require institutions using animals for research or teaching to appoint an IACUC. IACUC members are appointed by the Institutional Official and include scientists, non-scientists, veterinarians and representatives from the community.
The regulatory charges of the IACUC include, but are not limited to:
- Overseeing the use of vertebrate animals for research and teaching
- Establishing policies for ethical animal use and ensuring that such use is compliant with federal, state, and local regulations
- Reviewing all animal use protocols and modifications requesting approval for the use of vertebrate animals
- While animal welfare is the responsibility of every individual working with animals at SHSU, the IACUC is mandated to investigate and ensure correction of all reported animal welfare concerns and report any animal welfare issues to the Institutional Official and the regulatory agencies as required
- Overseeing animal husbandry and veterinary care provided to animals on the SHSU campus
- Overseeing training of faculty, students and staff on the use of experimental animals
- Inspecting all areas where animals are housed and used on a regular basis
- Reviewing the institution’s program for animal care and use at least twice a year (semiannually)
- Performing post-approval monitoring of approved animal use protocols and modifications