Financial Conflict of Interest
- Limited Submission ProcessView the limited submission process.
- IACUC Policies
- AP 140212 - IACUC General Policy
- AP 140213 - IACUC Alleged Incidence of Noncompliance
- AP 140214 - IACUC Approval of Animal Use Protocols
- AP 140215 - IACUC Euthanasia of Research Animals
- AP 140216 - IACUC Standard Procedures for Rodent Surgery
- AP 140217 - IACUC Post-approval Monitoring of Approved Research Involving Animals
- AP 140410 - IACUC Disaster Plan
- IRB Guidance
- IRB Policies
January 21, 2019
The following policies apply to all studies approved on and after January 21, 2019.
January 20, 2019
The following policies apply to all studies approved before January 21, 2019.
- SOP 1—IRB Submission and Pre-Review
- SOP 2—Exempt Review Procedures
- SOP 3—Expedited Review Procedures
- SOP 4—Review of Research by the Convened IRB
- SOP 5—IRB Actions and Communications
- SOP 6—Event Reporting
- SOP 7—Suspension and Termination of IRB-Approved Research
- SOP 8—Course Projects Guidelines/Faculty Assurance
- SOP 9—IRB Authorization Agreements (IAA)
- IRB Standard Operating Procedures
- NSF Safe and Inclusive Work Plan Template
Sam Houston State University (SHSU) is dedicated to fostering safe and harassment-free environments where off campus activities and/or work is conducted. This plan outlines the process, expected behavior, and other elements related to off-campus field work, trips, and research activities (whether for education, business, or research). The purpose of this plan is to establish guidelines and to put personalized plans in place necessary to ensure an inclusive, safe field research environment free of abuse including harassment, stalking, bullying, hazing, physical and verbal abuse, and a mechanism for accountability and emergency response.
The NSF recognizes that a community effort is essential to eliminate sexual and other forms of harassment in science and to build inclusive scientific climates where people can learn, grow, and thrive. The Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) below provided by the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs at Sam Houston State supports these goals.
For all offsite or field work on a proposed NSF project, the PIs and CoPIs in coordination with their respective Chairs, Directors, and Deans, and the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs must attest there is a plan in place for that proposal. The plan must describe how the following types of behavior will be addressed:
- Abuse of any person, including, but not limited to, harassment, stalking, bullying, or hazing of any kind, whether the behavior is carried out verbally, physically, electronically, or in written form; or
- Conduct that is unwelcome, offensive, indecent, obscene, or disorderly.
For items above, we recommend you reference the Non-Discrimination Policy (PRE-29).
The plan must also:
- Identify steps the proposing principal investigator(s)/project team will take to nurture an inclusive off-campus or off-site work environment;
- Consider how communications within the team and to the organization will be handled, minimizing singular points within the communications pathway (e.g., a single person overseeing access to a single satellite phone);
- Address how special circumstances such as the involvement of multiple organizations or the presence of third parties in the working environment should be taken into account;
- Account for the process or method for making incident reports as well as how reports received will be resolved.
The PI and project team should not submit the plan to NSF for review in the proposal, but they must have it in place prior to submission. The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (ORSP) will provide details regarding changes in eRPM in forthcoming issues of The RAP and on the ORSP website.
References & Resources
- NSF - Proposal & Award Policies & Procedures Guide (PAPPG)
- NSF - PAPPG, Chapter II.E.9 - Safe and Inclusive Working Environments for Off-Campus and Off-Site Research
- Fall 2022 NSF Grants Conference - Revisions to the Proposal and Award Policies and Procedures Guide (PAPPG) (NSF 23-1)
- SHSU Non-Discrimination Policy (PRE-29)
The SHSU Office of Research and Sponsored Programs is available to assist in completion or review of this Safety Plan.
- Responsible Conduct of Research
- Sponsor Project Funded Personnel Salaries and Effort
- Advanced Grant Spending Requests
When PIs need to request advanced spending on their grant while they are in the process of getting collection permits or their IRB, IACUC, IBC, or drone approvals in place, they can submit this form to request early access to some of this funding. To request a release of funds pending receipt of collection permits or research compliance approvals, please fill out and submit this advanced spending request form.
- Limited Submission Process