The university photographer is responsible for capturing compelling images that advance SHSU's brand and aligns with the strategic plan and university priorities.
The guidelines for photo requests are listed in priority order, with Level 1 having the highest priority. Requests for photography should be submitted at least two weeks prior to the date requested. Photography services are not guaranteed for every request and Marketing & Communications reserves the right to deny any requests for such services that do not support our university’s mission or meet our established criteria.
For more information about photography services, contact Brian Blalock at 936.294.3048 or firstname.lastname@example.org
How Do I Schedule a Photo Shoot?
To schedule a photo shoot, contact Brian Blalock at 936.294.3048 or email@example.com.
Head Shots and Walk-in Portrait Days
We offer professional business portraits to faculty and staff. To accommodate the large number of requests, we offer walk-in portrait days. These are held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the first Wednesday of each month in the Thomason Building, Suite 102. As a courtesy, please email Brian Blalock if you plan on taking a photo.
What Should I Wear?
Typical attire for headshots is business clothing:
- Solid colors with muted tones look best. Patterns are ok if they are subdued.
- Avoid bright white as it tends to be washed out by studio lights.
- A blazer adds a nice touch.
Note that listings within each level are in no particular order:
Level 1 - photographed by SHSU staff
- Assignments from the Office of the President
- Assignments from the Marketing & Communications Department
- Local, regional or national news stories for media release
- On-campus, high profile alumni and advancement events
- Major recurring events (commencement, convocation, Homecoming, etc.)
- One-time historic events and speakers
- Groundbreakings, dedications, major campaign events
- High-profile speakers (visiting dignitaries, Common Reader)
- Stock (unassigned) photos of student and university life, campus environment, and other lifestyle and scenic shots
- Faculty and staff portraits and headshots
- Walk-in portrait day held on the first Wednesday of every month from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Thomason Building, 100U4
Level 2 - photographed by students, SHSU staff available as a backup if needed
- Speakers (except Level 1)
- Conferences, symposiums and other events
- Administrative or academic departmental needs (speakers, events, portraits, classroom photos, etc.)
Level 3 - photographed by students photographers
- Group photos
- Employee-centered events for internal circulation only
If your content will be used to promote Sam Houston State University, all models will need to complete a model release form. Please have all models included in any promotional photoshoots complete the form and have it available for the photographer before the photoshoot begins.