Public Law 115-407, Section 103:
Effective August 1, 2019:
For students utilizing Chapter 31, VA Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment benefits or utilizing Chapter 33 Post 9-11 VA education benefits, Sam Houston State University will not:
- Charge late fees on the portion of tuition and fees billable to the VA while the VA tuition and fees payment is pending.
- Withdraw a student for non-payment of the portion of tuition and fees billable to the VA while the VA tuition and fees payment is pending.
- Restrict student access to university facilities for non-payment on the portion of tuition and fees billable to the VA while the VA tuition and fees payment are pending.
- Require the student to access student loans for the purpose of paying the portion of tuition and fees billable to the VA while the VA tuition and fees payment is pending.
To qualify, by or on the first day of the enrollment period a student must:
- Present to the Veterans Resource Center VA Certificate of Eligibility issued in the name of the student,
- Submit intent to use Chapter 31 or Chapter 33 VA benefit by completing the Certification Request Form on the students MySam Portal,
Costs that are the responsibility of the student, such as tuition and fees not billable to VA, or costs for residence halls and meal plans, are not covered under the provision established by PL 115- 407, Sec. 103. Students using Post 9-11 benefits at less than 100% eligibility are responsible to contact the Cashier’s Office to make payment arrangements on the amount of tuition not anticipated to be paid by the VA. Students are responsible to make payment arrangements for dorm and meal plans, if applicable.
The provision established by PL 115-407, Sec. 103, ends 90 days after tuition and fees are billed to the VA whether or not the VA has issued payment to the University. At that time, the University can hold the student liable for the billable tuition and fees unpaid by the VA, place a registration hold for any outstanding amount billed to the VA, or withdraw the student for non-payment of the billable tuition and fees not paid by the VA. Ultimately, the student does agree to assume and pay any and all costs associated with said enrollment not paid by the VA directly to the University.