Sam Houston State University (SHSU) and the United States Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) have joined together in a collaborative effort to assist Veteran-students in making a smooth transition to college life with a view to academic and vocational success.
Working with Vet Centers
SHSU and the VA are also working together with Vet Center personnel. Services are targeted toward adjustment needs of Veterans.
Services may include:
- Professional counseling
- Community education
- Linking veterans to other community agencies
SHSU has a VA VetSuccess Counselor on its campus. Anyone needing VA information is welcome to call or come by for assistance.
SHSU VetSuccess on Campus counselor can help you:
- Manage your education benefits
- Explore vocations and select a suitable major / career
- Elect your healthcare benefits with Veterans Healthcare Administration
- Access, understand and apply for VA benefits (e.g., Disability Compensation, Life Insurance, Education, Home Loan Guaranty, and Vocational Rehabilitation)
- Get referrals for medical and mental health care
- Get referrals for readjustment counseling services for eligible Veterans and their families
- Coordinate with school faculty/staff to provide Veteran-specific services (e.g., VA Certifying Official, Career Center, Student Disabilities Services, Counseling Center)
- Find job placement assistance and coordinate with Local Veterans’ Employment Representatives (LVER) and Disabled Veterans’ Outreach Programs (DVOP)
- Locate community and other resources
Your VetSuccess on Campus Counselor
Roberta Ardoin, MHS, CRC