Post 9/11 GI Bill

Veterans wishing to use the new Post 9/11 GI Bill® must fill out a new application (VA Form 22-1990) and submit it to the VA. This can be done by “hard copy” or by filling out the application online at  The Online Application is referred to as “VONAPP”.

Please consider your decision to switch over to the Post 9/11 GI Bill® carefully.  As an example of how this works:  If a veteran has only 12 months remaining on their old GI Bill® (Chapter 30) benefits and they switch over to Chapter 33 they will only receive 12 months under the new GI Bill®.  However, if the veteran chose to use up their 12 remaining months under Chapter 30 benefits, once they are exhausted, they may apply for 12 additional months of the new Post 9/11  GI Bill® for a total of 48 months. 

Once the VA has approved your application they will send you a “Certificate of Eligibility” (COE).  You must bring this to the Veteran Resource Center Office.  We cannot make any adjustments for tuition without this form. It tells us that;  A.) You have been approved and B.) at what percentage you have been approved for. The Post 9/11 GI Bill® pays your tuition and fees to the school based on the percentage you are eligible for.  They also pay a Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) and a Book stipend up to $1000.00 a year ($41.67 per credit hour).

Transfer of Entitlement under the Post 9/11 GI Bill®

If you are a member of the Armed Forces on August 1, 2009, the Department of Defense (DoD) may offer you the opportunity to transfer benefits to your spouse or dependent children.  To be eligible to transfer Post 9/11 GI Bill® benefits a Soldier must meet three requirements:

  • Be eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill®
  • Have at least six years of military service when the request to transfer benefits is submitted (all military service counts toward the six-year requirement except time in the IRR).
  • Not have an adverse action flag.

Soldiers who transfer benefits incur an additional service obligation in accordance with the following rules:

Years of Service When Request is Submitted
Additional Service Obligation
At least 6 years but less than 10 years.
4 years from the date the request was submitted.
10 or more years.
4 years or up to Retention Control Point or mandatory Retirement date from the date the request was submitted, whichever is less.

From August 1, 2009, until August 1, 2013, the below temporary rules for additional service obligations apply.  Years of service for the temporary rules are always based on length as of August 1, 2009, regardless of when the request to transfer is submitted

Years of Service as of August 1, 2009
Additional Service Obligation
20 or more years.
No additional service obligation.
Approved retirement with a date from Sept.1, 2009-June 2010.
No additional service obligation.
19 but less than 20 years.
1 year of service from the date the request was submitted.
18 but less than 19 years.
2 years of service from the date the request was submitted.
17 but less than 18 years.
3 years of service from the date the request was submitted.

Requirements and Benefits

Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Effective August 1, 2009) says if you served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty on or after September 11, 2001, you may be eligible to receive benefits for any approved program offered by a school in the U.S. that grants an associate or higher degree.

Based on your length of active duty, you may be entitled to a percentage of the following:

  • Cost of tuition and fees, not to exceed the most expensive in-state undergraduate tuition at a public institution of higher education in the State of Texas (paid to the school);
  • Monthly housing allowance equal to the basic allowance for housing payable to a military
  • E-5 with dependents, in the same zip code as your school (paid to you);
  • Yearly books and supplies stipend of up to $1000 per year (paid to you);
  • A one-time payment of $500 paid to certain individuals relocating from highly rural areas.

‘‘GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at"