A transfer student is an applicant pursing a bachelor's degree with more than 12 hours of college-level credit from a community college or other institution.
- Steps to Apply for Admission as a Transfer Student
Step 1: Complete the Online Application for SHSU
Complete an online application through ApplyTexas.org [what's this?] and pay the $45 non-refundable application fee at ApplyTexas.
Alternatively, you may pay the application fee directly to SHSU after completing your application through ApplyTexas.org. SHSU will receive your application within 24 hours of submission and after that period of time, you may mail a check to the Undergraduate Admissions Office or pay the application fee to SHSU with a credit or debit card.
Qualifying students may submit an application fee waiver request to SHSU Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Applicants must include the required supporting document to request a fee waiver:
- a copy of the first page of your Student Aid Report (FAFSA).
The Applicant should mail the above information to:
SHSU Admissions Office
Huntsville TX 77341-2418
SHSU requires transcripts from all institutions where you have enrolled in a course or courses, even if you did not attend or the course was not completed. Contact the school(s) to send official transcript(s) to SHSU.*
- Mail an official transcript to:
Sam Houston State University
Undergraduate Admissions Office
Huntsville TX 77341-2418
- Or ask your school to send an electronic official transcript to Sam Houston State University (code: 003606).
- If transcripts are from a school outside of the U.S., the document must be translated and evaluated by a NACES accredited service or SDR Educational Consultants. International college transcript evaluations must include a course by course evaluation.
- Please note that SHSU does not accept fax or emailed transcripts.
*Transcripts and other supporting documents will be retained by the university for 6 months.
- Transfer Admissions Requirements
Transfer Credits Requirements 0-11 transfer credits Meet the Beginning Freshmen Admission Requirements and have a 2.5 GPA on transferable hours. 12-17 transfer credits Minimum 2.5 GPA. 18+ transfer credits Minimum 2.0 GPA.
- Will My Credits Transfer?
Transferring classes from a college or university within Texas? See course credit transfer agreements with specific schools.
For transfers from all other schools:
- Search by school to see which of your college classes will transfer to SHSU with the Transfer Course Equivalency Guide.
- Or use the Texas Common Course Numbering System conversion chart to determine transferable course credits.
Sam Houston State University accepts 66 academic hours plus four kinesiology hours for a total of 70 semester hours from community colleges. All academic courses attempted at a four-year regionally accredited U.S. university will be reviewed for transferability. Transferable courses may not be relevant to every degree plan which is reviewed by an academic advisor.
- Transfer Orientation
Upon admission to SHSU, register to attend Transfer Orientation. At Orientation you'll complete mandatory advising for classes and register for your first classes.
- Scholarship Opportunities
Visit our financial aid website to learn how to complete the FAFSA, learn about scholarships like the Bearkat Transfer Scholarship and to complete the Scholarship4Kats Application. You must be accepted to SHSU in order to complete a ScholarX application. Most scholarships available to fall applicants have an application priority deadline of November 1 with recipient selections through February.
- Joint Admission
Ease your transition into a degree program at SHSU with joint admission.
- What Are the Application Deadlines?
- Fall: August 1
- Spring: December 1
- Summer: May 15