Deployment, Tuition Assistance, and Veterans Benefits

Military Deployment

  • Refunds for Reservist/National Guard Called into Active Duty

    If you’re a reservist or member of the National Guard called into duty after the start of a semester as a result of U.S. military demands, you have three options about what to do with the tuition and fees you’ve paid to attend a public college or university in Texas. According to state statutes and Coordinating Board rules, you can choose to have your college or university:

    • Refund the tuition and fees you've paid for the semester;
    • Grant you (if you’re eligible under the institution's guidelines) an incomplete grade in all courses by designating "X" (Incomplete) on your transcript;
    • As determined by the instructor, assign an appropriate final grade or credit to you, if you have satisfactorily completed a substantial amount of coursework and demonstrated sufficient mastery of the material.

    Please Note:
    There are no provisions for refunds for active duty service members who are deployed as a result of military orders or for individuals who chose to enter into the service. The provisions listed above apply only to individuals called into active military service.

  • Active Duty Service Members

    There are no provisions for refunds for active duty service members who are deployed as a result of military orders or for individuals who chose to enter into the service.

    If are you needing to make changes to your enrollment, you have options as listed below.

    If you are using Tuition Assistance, it is recommended to also refer to your Education Counselor regarding the potential changes to your schedule.

    If you are using a GI Bill benefit, please refer to the Veterans Resource Center and contact Veterans Affairs at (888) 442-4551.

What are my options?

  • Resignation
    1. Submit Resignation Form
    2. Then send an email to from your SHSU email account:
      • Please include the following information in the subject line:
        “Resignation Additional Documents – Military Orders (Sam ID 000xxxxxx)”
      • Attach official military orders to the email
    3. A response will then be provided within five business days regarding the resignation status.
  • Dropping Course(s)

    What is dropping?

    • If you are enrolled in multiple courses and needing to drop a class (but not all of your classes), dropping may be an option.
    • Courses dropped after Census Day earn a grade of "Q."
    • However, if you are seeking to drop your only class for the term, you must submit a resignation request.

    See more information on Q Drops for details.

  • Incomplete Grade (Approved by Instructor)
    1. The student should contact each individual instructor to request a grade of “Incomplete” for each desired course.
    2. Each request for a grade of "X" is reviewed at the discretion of the instructor. If the request is approved by the instructor, a grade of "X" will be assigned for the approved course.
    3. Students will then have one semester to complete the coursework and earn the appropriate grade for each course with an Incomplete grade.
  • Combine Options
    Students may choose to drop some courses and/or request Incompletes for other courses. Please see the above tabs for information regarding dropping courses and requesting Incompletes, respectively.

Tuition Assistance

  • What Is Tuition Assistance?

    Tuition Assistance

    Each branch of service handles Tuition Assistance differently. To find out how to get started, visit your Educational Services Officer (ESO) or Education Counselor within your branch of military service for guidance.

    Air Force

    If you're actively serving in the Air Force, Air Force Reserves, Air National Guard, apply for TA through the Air Force Virtual Education Center (AFVEC).

    Army, Army Reserve, and Army National Guard

    If you are in the Army, Army Reserve, or Army National Guard, apply for TA through ArmyIgnitED.

    Additional Information

    For more information, contact your military branch for details on TA eligibility and the specific branch process for the submission of TA form:

    Payment Due Dates

    If you are using military Tuition Assistance (TA), the servicemember must meet the payment deadline for the semester. See payment due dates on Cashier's webpage

  • How to Use Tuition Assistance at SHSU (Army)
    1. Submit Education Path

      Select your Education Path in ArmyIgnitED and receive approval/verification in ArmyIgnitED from your Army Education Counselor. You will then need to receive approval/verification for the Education Path by Sam Houston State University.
      Note: Prior to getting approved for your path, you must be fully accepted into Sam Houston State University for that requested program.
    2. Register for classes through MySam

      Note: Please adhere to pertinent insitutional and ArmyIgnitED deadlines.
      • See Sam Houston State University's registration deadlines.
      • All classes must be registered prior to the first class day of the term.
      • Please refer to your military Education Counselor for any steps and deadlines pertinent to ArmyIgnitED and Tuition Assistance requests.
    3. Verify all courses registered at SHSU are loaded and displaying in ArmyIgnitED, then request for TA approval

      Please refer to your Army Education Counselor for TA approval requirements and turnaround time.
      Note: If you do not see your courses in ArmyIgnitED within 7 business days after registration, please contact us at
    4. Meet all payment deadlines for the term

      See Cashier's payment due dates.

  • Evaluated Degree Plan (EDP) - Required

    Beginning 1 August 2023, Soldiers using Tuition Assistance (TA) are required to provide an Evaluated Degree Plan (EDP) if they wish to register in more than two courses.

    If the soldier already has two approved courses on their education goal in ArmyIgnitED, a soldier will have a BLOCKER on their ArmyIgnitED portal. 

     A TA blocker makes soldiers ineligible for tuition assistance.  Soldiers are required to provide their EDP to their servicing education centers as soon as possible to remove the BLOCKER and avoid delays due to peak enrollment season.

    EDPs should encompass the following points, at minimum:

    • Soldier’s Name
    • AI Name
    • Name of Degree Pursing
    • Classes/credits required for graduation/completion
    • Evaluation of all successfully completed prior coursework (transfer credit)
    • Evaluated military training and experience (JST or CCAF)

    Soldiers attending Sam Houston State are advised to provide a copy of their DegreeWorks page as an EDP as it contains all necessary information. Soldiers will need to save as a PDF and submit this to their servicing education center.

    How Soldiers find their servicing education center: 

    In the upper right quadrant of the soldiers’ ArmyIgnitED dashboard select “ED CENTER DETAILS”.  Please click “VIEW DETAILS” and more information will populate. 

    Soldier ArmyIgnitED messages to education centers: 

    Alternately, Soldiers can use the “Messages” feature in ArmyIgnitED to contact their servicing education centers.  They will select “Messages” on the left side toolbar.  The next page will have a gold banner and they will click the “CREATE MESSAGE” button selecting “Education Goal or Degree Plan” as their category.  

    Military training information:  Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, and Navy Veterans and Servicemembers may request their JST at:  Air Force Veterans may find their records at:

  • Returning Service Members - Military Readmission
    1. Service members who are temporarily unable to attend class or must suspend their studies due to service requirements will be re-admitted to their program. Students are advised to notify their program advisor in writing if they must suspend studies or cannot attend classes and notify their advisor when they are able to return to class and studies.
  • Payment Due Dates
    1. If you are using military Tuition Assistance (TA), the servicemember must meet the payment deadline for the semester. See payment due dates on Cashier's webpage