What is Counseling?
Counseling is a growth process through which individuals are helped to define goals, make decisions, and solve problems related to personal, social, educational, and career concerns. This process is carried out with trained professionals.
Counseling can be delivered in a variety of modalities. Many of our clients here at the center will take part in Group Counseling. Group counseling can be an effective means of achieving one’s counseling goals. Clients might also take advantage of one-on-one brief counseling using Single Sessions and/or Therapy Assisted Online (TAO). During an initial phone screening you will have a chance to share your concerns with a counselor and then discuss which brief counseling option is most suited to address your concerns.
The counseling process is a partnership between you and a counselor to assist you with life goals and/or to address areas of dissatisfaction in your life. For counseling to be most effective, it is important that you take an active role in the process. This involves keeping scheduled appointments, listening to the counselor, being honest with the counselor, discussing the counseling process with the counselor, and completing agreed upon outside assignments.
What Can I Expect in Individual Counseling?
The following are some of the things that you can expect:
- You will be doing most of the talking.
- Sometimes you may experience painful feelings before you start feeling better.
- What you talk about with the counselor is confidential.
- Your professors and parents WILL NOT be informed about what you discuss during the sessions.
- There are some limits to confidentiality; however, these will be explained and given to you in writing on your first visit.
- While in counseling, you can talk about whatever is concerning you at the time.
· The counselor will help you examine your concerns and assist you in finding a means to fulfill your goals
Sam Houston Counseling Center
1608 Avenue J., Box 209 | Huntsville, TX 77341-2059 | Phone: 936.294.1720 | Fax: 936.294.2639