Frequently Asked Questions

  • I want to be a teacher, what do I major in?

    The first question you need to answer is WHAT do you want to teach.

    • If you want to teach PreK-3rd grade, elementary school, or 4th -8th grade; you will major in Education and pick a minor according to your interest.
    • If you want to teach high school (7-12th grade) you will double major in Education and the subject you want to teach (Math, Science, English, History, Journalism, Spanish, Kinesiology (P.E.) or Agriculture)
    • If you want to teach music, theater, or art; that will be your major along with a teaching certification

    In addition to earning a degree, you are also working toward teacher certification, we offer many certification tracks and there are choices within certification tracks. The best advice is to meet with an education academic advisor, discuss your goals and let them guide you through the process.

  • When do I register for classes and what classes do I to take?

    Check out the registration schedule and how to register information here.

  • Do I have to meet with an academic advisor?

    If you are a new to SHSU (no SHSU GPA) you must be advised before you start your first semester and before you start your second semester. The College of Education strongly encourages our students to meet with an education academic advisor every semester. For information on how to schedule an appointment and other details visit the SAM Center webpage.

  • I have dual/AP credits from high school, do they count toward my degree?

    SHSU does accept dual credits, learn more on the admission page.

    AP credit information is available here

  • I am transferring from another college, will my credits transfer?

    SHSU has course credit transfer agreements with other colleges and we offer some tools to assist with determining if your courses will transfer, you can find that information here.

    However, the best advice is to schedule a pre-transfer advising appointment with an education academic advisor at SHSU. Our advisors will meet with you, before you even apply, review your transcripts and make recommendations on classes and when to transfer. Schedule a pre-transfer advising appointment

  • Do you offer scholarships? Financial aid?

    Yes! There are lots of scholarships, grants and financial aid available to future teachers at SHSU.

    • Scholarships4kats - This SHSU program manages hundreds of scholarships for accepted students. There are many scholarships reserved for future teachers.
    • Charles Butt Scholarship for Aspiring Teachers - you do NOT have to be an accepted student to apply for this scholarship. Students may apply at any time during their program. The scholarship pays up to $10,000 per year for up to 4 years.
    • TEACH Grant - This grant is available to undergraduate juniors and seniors and to students seeking a master's degree that intend to teach in a school that serves students from low-income families.
    • How do I apply for financial aid? The SHSU Financial Aid Office is available to help, check out their guide.
    • Students are also encouraged to apply for scholarships outside of SHSU.
  • Are students required to live on campus?

    Students entering SHSU within 1 year of high school are required to live on campus. Exceptions can be requested, learn more.

    Education majors have the opportunity to select the Education Living Community for housing their freshman year. By selecting this option, you secure your dorm space alongside other education majors. Your roommate, suitemates and neighbors will all be education majors.

  • What is the average class size?

    The university student to faculty ratio is 23:1.

  • Can I take classes at The Woodlands Center?

    Yes. You can take classes on The Woodlands Center campus. Many education courses are offered at TWC. If you are on the elementary EC-6 Core certification track almost all your classes will likely be offered at TWC.

  • Can I take classes online?

    The bachelor's degree in Education is NOT an online program, almost all coursework must be done in person. However, if a course is offered online, you can take it online. See your academic advisor with specific questions.

  • Are there clubs and organizations for education majors?

    Yes! There are clubs and student organizations of all kinds. Many of our students join Texas Association of Future Educators (TAFE), Kappa Delta Pi, PSUN, COE Ambassadors, Bilingual Education Student Organization, or the Sam Houston Council for Exceptional Children; to name a few! Learn More

    We host a college wide Opportunity Fair at the beginning of each semester. This event is an opportunity for students to learn more about all the organizations, service projects and leadership opportunities in the college.

  • What is the Educator Preparation Program?

    Students apply for the Educator Preparation Program (EPP) after core coursework has been completed. Admission to the EPP marks the beginning of upper-level coursework in education, preparing you for certification testing at the end of the program. To apply students must meet the minimum requirements:

    • 2.75 GPA
    • No grade below a C in content area
    • Clear background check
  • Where will I do my student teaching?

    We have partnerships with school districts across the greater Houston area, many are offering PAID residencies for SHSU student teachers.

    SHSU follows a Year Long Residency model of student teaching. The year long model places students with a mentor teacher for a full year; during semester 1 you are in the classroom 3 days/week and complete SHSU coursework 2 days/week. In semester 2, you are in a classroom 5 days/week and complete a student teaching companion course. Learn More

  • Can I earn a bachelor's degree and a master's degree at the same time?

    Accelerated advanced degree plans allow a student to begin taking graduate level course work prior to completing their bachelors degree. For education majors this plan is called 4+1TEACH.

    Students may apply for 4+1 the semester before they are to begin student teaching.

  • I am the first in my family to attend college, do you offer resources to help me complete my degree?

    Yes! In addition to all the resources offered by the university, TRiO Teacher Support Services serves 140 first generation students pursuing a degree in Education. Learn more

  • Will I be able to get a job when I graduate?

    There has never been a better time to become a teacher in the state of Texas. Teachers are in high demand and the profession is commanding higher salaries than in years past.

    Each semester the SHSU Career Success Center hosts a Teacher Career Fair on campus. We typically have 80-100 school districts attend, looking to hire our graduating Bearkat Teachers!

  • How do I know if SHSU is right for me?

    We want you to feel confident in your decision to attend SHSU and become a Bearkat Teacher! Visiting in person is the preferred way to check out campus and see how it feels, sign up for a campus tour or one of the other opportunities offered by Visitor Services. If you want to drop in the college while on campus, we’d be happy to meet with you and give you a tour of the college (email to make arrangements).

    Virtual campus tours are also available from Visitor Services and you can request a one on one virtual visit with a college representative.

    You can also connect with us on social media, this is a great way to get to know the college.