SHC - Services
The SHSU Student Health Center is a primary care outpatient clinic. Located on campus, it provides health services to enrolled students. These health services include preventative care services, a women’s health clinic, laboratory testing, and pharmacy services that are all affordable and easily accessible. At the Student Health Center, students will be cared for by a compassionate medical team, which includes doctors, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, registered nurses, and licensed vocational nurses. The SHC strives to provide the highest quality of health services to patients. Students are encouraged to visit the Student Health Center for routine illnesses and minor injuries.
The Student Health Center provides interpretation services for students on an as needed basis.
Condoms are available free of charge at the Student Health Center. For more information, please ask the Front Desk or the Pharmacy.
The Student Health Center Laboratory is accredited by the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act (CLIA) The Lab processes a variety of in-house testing, as well as, collects and sends tests to a reference lab. The Laboratory can also accept test orders by any licensed medical practitioner from outside the Student Health Center. The SHC lab is staffed by Medical Technologists.
The Student Health Center has an in-house Pharmacy available to current SHSU students. Our facility is able to fill any valid prescription written by most licensed providers and will work with patients to find the most affordable medications to fit their needs. Additionally, the Pharmacy provides over-the-counter (OTC) products for everyday needs without a prescription. For additional information, contact the Pharmacy directly at (936)294-1803.
The Student Health and Counseling Center offer psychiatry services on a referral basis only. This service is provided through Tele Psychiatry with a MD who specializes in psychiatry treatment. If you feel you may be in need of this service please access the Counseling Center through their walk in option for a screening.
The Dental Office on campus, located in the Student Health Center, is a full-service practice that opened in August of 2014. Since then, the office has provided dental care to hundreds of people in the SHSU community. Our dentist and staff make up an experienced team of licensed professionals who aim to provide SHSU students, faculty, and staff with the most convenient access to high-quality, affordable dental care.
For more information or to schedule an appointment please call the office at 936-207-8472
In compliance with state and federal laws, the Student Health Center cannot release any personal health information without a student’s written consent.
- Patient Rights and Responsibilities
- You have the right to receive considerate, respectful, and compassionate care in a safe setting regardless of your age, gender, race, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability status.
- You have the right to know the names and qualifications of your providers, nurses, and all health care team members providing your care.
- You have the right to request a specific provider for you visit.
- You can expect full consideration of your privacy and confidentiality in care discussions, exams, and treatments. You may ask for a chaperone during any type of exam.
- You have the right to be told by your provider about your diagnosis, the benefits and risks of treatment, and the expected outcome of treatment.
- You have the right to participate in decisions about your care, your treatment, and services provided, including the right to refuse treatment.
- You have the right to give written informed consent before any procedure begins.
- You can expect that all communication and records about your care are confidential, unless disclosure is permitted by law. You have the right to see or get a copy of your medical records.
- You have the right to give or refuse consent for recordings, photographs, films, or other images to be produced or used for identification, diagnosis, or treatment.
- You have the right to voice your concerns about the care you receive. If you have a problem or complaint, you may talk with your provider or nurse. Additionally, you may request to speak with the medical director or the SHC director or complete a Patient Grievance form. If your concern is not resolved to your liking, you may also file a grievance with the Dean of Students at the following website: https://www.shsu.edu/dept/dean-of-students/std_grievance_proc.html
We want to encourage you to speak openly with your health care team, take part in your treatment choices, and promote your own safety by being well informed and involved in your care.
- You are expected to provide complete and accurate information about your health and medical history, including present condition, past illnesses, hospital stays, medicines, vitamins, herbal products, and any other matters that pertain to your health, including perceived safety risks.
- You are expected to ask questions when you do not understand information or instructions. If you believe you cannot follow through with your treatment plan, you are responsible for telling your doctor. You are responsible for outcomes if you do not follow the care, treatment, and service plan.
- You are expected to actively participate in your treatment plan and to keep your doctors and nurses informed of the effectiveness of your treatment. You are expected to report any adverse side effects of treatment and/or worsening condition.
- You are expected to treat all clinic staff, other patients, and visitors with courtesy and respect; abide by all university rules and safety regulations.
- You have the responsibility to keep appointments, be on time, and call the SHC if you cannot keep your appointments. Failure to provide notification of an appointment cancellation at least one hour in advance will result in the patient incurring a "no-show" fee.
- You are asked to please leave valuables at home and bring only necessary items to the clinic.
- You are personally responsible for all financial charges.