SHC - Parents/Guardians


  • My student is under the age of 18. What do I need to fill out?

    Before your student can be treated at the Student Health Center, you will need to complete the Consent for Treatment of a Minor form. The student will then upload this form in their patient portal under “Clearances” and it will transfer into their medical record and they will be able to schedule visits at the Student Health Center  

  • Why should I send my student to the Student Health Center?

    The Student Health Center is a primary care clinic. We are accredited by the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC), which distinguishes our clinic from many other primary care facilities. We are one of the 14 Texas schools that meet this nationally recognized standard. 

    While your student is here, they will be cared for by a compassionate medical team, which includes doctors, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, registered nurses, and licensed vocational nurses. Our team can provide services that include preventative care services, a women’s health clinic, laboratory testing, and pharmacy services that are all affordable and easily accessible.

  • Does my student need to have health insurance to be seen at the Student Health Center?

    Your student does not need to have insurance to be seen at the SHC. The only insurance that the SHC accepts is the Academic Health Plan offered through the university. For more information, visit our Appointment Payment/Insurance tab. 

  • How do the payments work for my student to be seen at the Student Health Center?

    Each semester, your student pays a medical service fee that allows them to be seen as many times as they would like for that semester. Additional charges that your student may incur during the visit are laboratory services charge, pharmacy charge, or any procedure or supply charge.

    The SHC does not accept direct payment at the time of the appointment. Any SHC fees will be added to your student's MySam account and paid through the Bursar's office. Fee statements for submission to other health insurance plans are available on your student's Patient Portal. For more information, visit our Appointment Payment/Insurance tab. 

  • Do I have access to my student's medical information?

    Your student's medical records fall under educational records that are protected by The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA). Students may facilitate release information to their parent/ guardian or other designee through the following methods:

    ●Adding them as an emergency contact in their medical record.

    ●Verbally consenting in a specific visit for the medical provider to contact a parent/ guardian to discuss that episode of care; this consent will be documented in that visit.

    ●Authorize through completing the ROI form for that visit a documented release written of information to be sent to a designated person/s.

    ●Discussing their own care directly with their parent/ guardian.
  • Does the Student Health Center have over-the-counter medications?

    The Student Health Center staff are able to provide over-the-counter (OTC) products for everyday needs without a prescription.