• Whom do I call for a maintenance issue?

    For campus repairs and preventative maintenance, employees should use the FAMIS Work Order System. Students and Visitors can report issues to Facilities Customer Service at 936.294.3663.

    For dorm repairs, students should use their StarRez portal to report an issue. For emergencies, contact your RA. Visitors can call Facilities Customer Service to report an issue at 936.294.3663.

    For after-hours maintenance emergencies, please contact University Police Dispatch 936-294-1794.

  • What is a maintenance emergency?

    Maintenance emergencies are situations requiring immediate attention due to failure in or around University facilities that could cause significant damage to the building, building systems, and equipment. These situations could create unmanageable or unsafe conditions that would expose personnel or students to a significant possibility of harm.  Examples include:   broken windows, water leaks, power outage, no heat or cool when temperatures are extreme, etc.

  • What is considered general routine maintenance?

    General maintenance consists of routine building issues which require attention, but can be done within regular working hours and over a window of days.  Examples may include: dripping faucet, a single light out, switch or outlet cover broken, missing or broken ceiling tile, wall damage, missing tiles, etc.

  • When can I expect a response once a maintenance request is submitted?

    For “Emergency” requests we dispatch via radio immediately.  The “Urgent” requests we dispatch the same day, most often by radio depending on the nature of the request.  For the typical “Routine” request, we typically assign it to the appropriate shop within 24 hours.  A Service Supervisor or Technician should contact you within 48 hours.

  • I need temporarily move the Bollards for a delivery, what do I do?

    For Immediate Bollard removal requests call Facilities Customer Service directly, and we will dispatch via radio immediately. For scheduled deliveries or events that require temporary Bollard relocation, please put in a work order.

  • How do I check the status of a submitted work order?

    Please visit our website homepage,  Under Request Work, click on Work or Maintenance Request.  This will take you to our FAMIS© work order management system.  There you can click on my requests and view information about your work orders.  If you have difficulties, contact Facilities Management Customer Service at 936-294-3663 for assistance.

  • How will I know that my work order has been completed?

    The requester will receive an e-mail stating the work order has been completed and closed.  A link to a customer satisfaction survey will be in the closing email.  Facilities Management welcomes any and all feedback. All responses to the survey will remain anonymous unless the requester ask to be contacted by the department director.

  • How are customers charged for work that is requested?

    All work performed in auxiliary services buildings is billable and the customer will be responsible for payment There is no charge for maintenance of educational and general use buildings.  This includes all work to maintain the building in the condition it was received at completion of construction If the work order is for a service to alter or add something new to an educational and general building such as adding a doorway, repainting to change colors, picture hanging, wiring new owner purchased equipment, etc., the customer will be responsible for payment.

  • How do I know what the cost of my work order is?

    You can view any work order that you requested by logging into FAMIS.  Take the following steps to view your work orders: Login to FAMIS Select the work order from the list under "My Requests” Near the top of the screen click the link labeled “Work Order – Financial” Scroll down and the labor and material charges will be itemized If you have any problems with this, please call Customer Service at 936-294-3663 and they will help step you through the process

  • Our department is interested in doing renovations.  How do I initiate a request for this type of work?

    For most projects anticipated to be under $1 million, first request an estimate of your work through the FAMIS© work order management system.  Budget estimates are prepared at no cost to all campus departments. Please see the year end deadlines.  If and when your scope of work and cost is acceptable, complete all the funding information on the estimate form and return with all approvals to the Facilities Management Project Manager using the instructions on the estimate form. 

  • When can my renovations start and how long will it take?

    Each project is different.  To determine this information project managers need to know the scope and availability of the work area.  Once the estimate is submitted, it must have funds placed in a project account and may require a period of project design followed by a contractor selection process.   This process could take from 30 to 60 days, but you and the Project Manager will be able to coordinate the project schedule to minimize operations interruptions.

  • I need a key or card for a room or building.  How do I request a key and check the status of my request?

    Your first step is to go to our website homepage, Under Request Work, click on Online Key Request.  This will take you to our SHSU Key Tracking System.  Under the User Menu, click on Request Key and follow the instructions.  Enter all information as accurately as you can. Or for buildings that are not on the online keep request system, return to our website and under Request Work, click on Key Request Form.  You may also receive assistance by contacting our Facilities Management Customer Service office at 936-294-3663.

  • Can I get one key to fit all the doors that I need access to? I don’t like to carry a large ring of keys.

    Many departments have their areas keyed to a Departmental Sub-Masters. This master level key would allow you to access many areas within your department. You can request this level of access through the normal key request process.

  • When do I fill out the Facilities Space Changes Reporting Form (FSCRF)?

    Whenever there is a change in the following:  how a particular space is used (storage room made in to an office), if a different department takes over the space, when the program changes (Psychology to Philosophy, OR instruction to administration), an increase or decrease in the student capacity of an instructional room, when the space is to be shared between programs or departments, if changes are made for the room contact (this affects key requests), and when the structural layout of the walls are altered by renovation.

  • What does E&G stand for?

    Education & General.  This is assignable space used to carry out institutional missions of instruction, research, and support.

  • What is considered an auxiliary building?

    Income-generating structures and space such as dormitories, cafeterias, student union buildings, stadiums, athletic facilities, housing or boarding facilities used by a fraternity, sorority, or private club, and alumni center used solely for those purposes.  Auxiliary space is not supported by state appropriations.

  • What is the difference between "student capacity" and "maximum occupancy" of a room?

    Student capacity is the number of students allowed for a given instructional space based on the nature of the instruction, structural configuration of the room, layout of the furnishings, and chair/desk count.  This is set by the department chair(s) in conjunction with the college dean and approved by the Provost's Office.  Maximum occupancy is the number of people allowed in a given space based on the NFPA Life Safety Code taking in to account square footage, seating type, number of exits, the direction of door swings, door construction, and door hardware among other factors.  Maximum occupancy is set by Space Management and approved by the Office of Compliance.  Student capacity is always lower than the maximum occupancy of the room to allow for instructors.  The maximum occupancy number is posted in the rooms.  Student capacity levels can change where the fire code limit usually does not.

  • How do I request a Campus Map or Building Floor Plan?

    To request a campus map or building floor plan, please go to FAMIS Self Service and put in a service request. Select site (for a campus map, select "main" site) and then select building (for floor plans).  Once the building is selected, click the "Service Request" at the bottom, then click "Create Service Request" and follow the steps to request a "Campus Drawing".  Be sure to describe the type of drawing and what details you need included in the result, as well as, format for output (electronic pdf file or plotted copies), number of copies, size, and if you want color or B/W.

  • What defines a building?

    The THECB defines a building as a roofed structure with at least two walls for permanent or temporary shelter for persons, animals, plants, equipment, or supplies. It is attached to a foundation, roofed, serviced by a utility (exclusive of lighting), and is a source of maintenance and repair activities.

  • What does NASF stand for?

    Net Assignable Square Feet. This is the sum of floor space within interior walls of rooms that is assigned to, or available for assignment to, occupants for use. NASF is determined by room type and room use data fields.

  • What is Space Usage Efficiency (SUE)?

    The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board developed Space Usage Efficiency (SUE) to account for facilities demand, current usage and percentage filled. The SUE score consists of three variables that are calculated for both Classrooms and Labs, which are those that have a room type of 110 and 210 respectively, totaling 6 parts of the overall score. Each of these six variables is converted from a raw score to a weighted value and summed to compute an overall SUE score. The higher numbers for the score indicate a more favorable score and better overall utilization. For more information or to view the reports contact Mary Holland.