The Bachelor of Music with Teacher Certification degree is structured for students desiring to become public school music teachers. The curriculum presents students with a broad knowledge of the elements of music, instructional knowledge in teaching individual instruments, voice, and ensembles, as well as the science and art of teaching.
Preparing for the Future
The degree program prepares students to become:
- Elementary music teachers,
- Orchestra directors for junior & senior high school,
- Choir directors for junior & senior high school, or
- Band directors for junior & senior high school.
At the conclusion of course-work, students become eligible to take the state certification tests for music (grades EC-12).
Degree Course Work Overview
Each semester, Music Education students will:
- Actively work towards completing one of the following degree plans:
- Degree Plan for future Band Directors:
- Woodwind Emphasis (for students majoring in Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon, or Saxophone)
- Brass Emphasis (for students majoring in Horn, Trumpet, Trombone, Euphonium, or Tuba)
- Percussion Emphasis (for students majoring in Percussion)
- Degree Plan for future Choir Directors (for students majoring in Voice)
- Degree Plan for future Orchestra Directors (for students majoring in Violin, Viola, Cello, or String Bass)
- Degree Plan for future Elementary Music Teachers (available to students majoring in Voice, Orchestra String instruments, Woodwind instruments, Brass instruments, or Percussion instruments)