The Intramural Sports program provides you the opportunity to compete and have fun in various team and individual sports. Leagues and tournaments are organized into different skill levels so you can play against other participants with comparable skills in a relaxed recreational atmosphere. Flag football, basketball, volleyball, soccer, softball, racquetball, golf, and tennis are just a few of the sports offered.
Intramural events are open to currently enrolled SHSU students (one or more hours) and SHSU faculty/staff.
Divisions of Play
Major team sports feature several divisions. Male students have the option of playing in the A (Competitive), B (Recreational), or Greek divisions. Females have an open division. Co-Rec (males and females on the same team) divisions are also offered in all major team sports.
Major Team Sports
Flag Football, Soccer, Volleyball, Basketball, Softball
- Different divisions of play are offered for competitive team sports.
- Men's divisions include A, B, and Greek.
- Co-Rec divisions include A and B.
- Women's divisions include only an Open division.
- Several leagues for each division are offered Sunday - Thursday.
- Each team plays in a four-team round robin league.
- The regular season consists of at least three games (one game each week).
- All teams that meet the minimum sportsmanship and competition standard qualify for the single elimination playoff following the regular season.
Team Sports Tournaments
Indoor Soccer, 4v4 Flag Football, Sand Volleyball, Dodgeball, etc.
- Competitive team sport tournaments are offered during a one and a half to 3 week time-span.
- Teams are guaranteed one game. Depending on the number of teams, either a single elimination format or pool play format will be used.
- In most cases, you will play more than one game in a week. Also, it is possible to play multiple games in one night.
- Generally, men's, women's and co-rec divisions are offered.
Tennis, Racquetball, Xbox 360, Spikeball, etc.
- Events take place during one scheduled day of activity.
- Single elimination format is utilized for all one-day tournaments.
- Competitive tournaments are offered for singles or doubles in a variety of racquet sports.
- Competitive and recreational divisions are offered if enough participants register for the event.
- Pre-registration is not necessary. You can just show up at the time of the event and you will be placed in the bracket.
- Example - Tennis Singles tournament is scheduled for Wednesday, February 21st at 6pm. On that day at 6pm, everyone that is present will be placed in a single elimination bracket and the whole tournament will be played that night.
Location of Events
Team sports play Sunday through Thursday evenings at the SHSU Intramural Fields and the Recreational Sports Center. Other events may take place at Pritchett Field, Johnson Coliseum and Bowers Stadium.
Contact Campus Rec
936.294.1985 | email@example.com