Veteran Students

SHSU is a military-friendly Texas State University outside of Houston.

Discover What Sam Houston State University Can Do For You

Recognized by G.I. Jobs as a 2013 Military Friendly School, SHSU has the programs and people in place to help you pursue your goals. The Veterans Resource Center is dedicated to assisting veterans and dependents of veterans with the transition into university life.

Additionally, veteran students receive unprecedented support from VetSuccess on Campus, a collaboration between SHSU, the VA, and Vet Center personnel in order to better serve the men and women who have honorably served our country.

Apply for Admission to a Degree Program

The same application is used for admission to a bachelor’s degree program or master’s degree program with on-campus or online classes.

1. Apply to SHSU

Complete an online application and pay the $45 (Fall 20, Spring 21, Summer 21) or $50 (Fall 21 and after) non-refundable application fee.

Alternatively, you may pay later by mailing a check (address below) or pay through the SHSU Self Service Center.

2. Send transcripts to SHSU

Send applicable transcripts (college/university transcripts and military transcripts).

  • Mail official college transcripts to:
    Sam Houston State University
    Undergraduate Admissions Office
    Box 2418
    Huntsville TX 77341-2418
  • Or send electronic official college transcripts to Sam Houston State University (code: 003606).
  • Please note that the Undergraduate Admissions Office does not accept fax or emailed college transcripts.

3. Apply with the VA

Visit to learn which benefit you are eligible to receive and to complete the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP) for GI Bill benefits.

  • If the VA finds you eligible, they will mail you a “Certificate of Eligibility” or an “Award Letter” with information about your benefit. Please submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility to the Veterans Resource Center immediately upon receipt (via email, fax or drop off in person).

4. Review benefits and procedures

Learn more about the policies and procedures for requesting and processing your GI Bill benefit and/or Hazlewood Exemption.

Financial Aid Benefits

5. Talk with a Veterans Resource Center advisor

It's important for students using military/veteran education benefits to discuss course plans with a Veteran Liaison/Advisor prior to enrolling. The advisors will assist you with your degree plan and ensure your classes are eligible for benefits.

Contact the Veterans Resource Center advisors >>

6. Complete the "Request for Certification" form

Submit a “Request for Certification” form for the appropriate semester(s). Please do not wait to receive your “Certificate of Eligibility/ Award Letter” before your complete this form.

  • You must do this every semester and complete a separate request for summer, if applicable.

Transfer on Military Credits

Eligible veteran students may be automatically accepted if they meet the following requirements:

  • Graduated from an accredited public or private high school
  • Completed at least two years of active duty in the armed forces
  • Honorably discharged from the US armed forces
  • Has no college credit or has less than 12 hour

If you meet the requirements please email for more information.

Application Deadlines for Undergraduate Applicants

  • Fall: August 1
  • Spring: December 1
  • Summer: May 15