Admission Requirements for the School of Nursing:
- Be an accepted student to SHSU through Undergraduate Admissions.
- Complete ≥ 30 credit hours in Nursing Prerequisite courses and Texas Core Requirements prior to application deadline (6 out the 8 Nursing Prerequisite Courses must be completed prior to application deadline). See the BSN Curriculum Plan.
- Students can be accepted in the School of Nursing on a conditional basis if an applicant has no more than two (2) Nursing Prerequisite Courses in progress the semester after the application deadline (Summer term for Fall admission and Fall term for Spring admission).
- Have a ≥ 3.0 GPA in Nursing Prerequisites the time the application closes.
- Sciences courses (BIOL & CHEM) must be seven (7) years fresh. Nutrition does not count as a science course. This does not apply to current LVN-BSN or RN-BSN applicants.
- Anatomy and Physiology courses must be a matching set. i.e. Human Anatomy and Human Physiology are a set. Human Anatomy & Physiology I and Human Anatomy & Physiology II are a set. They cannot be interchanged.
- Only two (2) graded attempts of a lab-science course is allowed within 7 years.
- College Algebra requirement is equivalent to MATH 1314 or higher. College Mathematics (MATH 1332) is not accepted.
- MATH, STAT, or PSYC based statistics is accepted.
- RN-BSN applicants should email the nursing advisor for transcript review, as substitutions could be made.
- Have ≥ 3.0 GPA in all lower-level degree requirements (Includes Nursing Prerequisites and Texas Core Requirements completed).
- If you are "core complete" with another public, Texas institution, you will be considered "core complete" at SHSU.
- All nursing degree requirements must be a "C" or higher by the application deadline.
- Based on accreditation requirements, the School of Nursing does not accept a P/F or S/U as a grade as we require a letter grade of C or higher in all degree requirements for the nursing program. For Spring 2020 and Summer 2020, if your college/university assigns grades in this type of format (e.g. pass/fail), the Registrar’s office at your institution must provide an explanation of the grading scale underlying the “pass/fail” system. Any “pass” grade that includes letter grades below a “C” is not acceptable for transfer to the nursing degree program at SHSU.
- ATI TEAS (TEAS VI) Overall Score must be ≥ 70. Each subject area must be ≥ 55. Reading and Math sub-scores will be used at a higher rate than other subject areas.
- Student will submit one TEAS Individual Performance Profile during the application (pre-licensure BSN and LVN-BSN).
All questions about nursing criteria should be sent to email@example.com. Email is the preferred method of communication.