Facilities Operations FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

The Student's Guide to Cleaning

There are many Dos and Don'ts when it comes to having a roommate! Check out the Student's Guide to Cleaning for tips on how to be a good roommate as well as how to keep your shared living space clean.

How do I report maintenance concerns?

All non-emergency maintenance concerns should be reported online via maintenance request system. Non-emergency maintenance examples include: one light out in unit/area, beeping smoke detector, sink clog if not overflowing.

Emergency maintenance is done to resolve an issue that constitutes an immediate threat to self, immediate threat to building or is a major inconvenience. Examples of emergencies are: overflowing toilet, air conditioner not working, no power in unit/area. To report emergency maintenance, follow the procedures below:

  • Monday - Friday, 8:00AM - 4:30PM: Call Facilities Operations at (936)294-4474.
  • Monday - Friday, 4:30PM - 8:00AM: Contact the RA on duty for your housing area and they will assist you with reporting your emergency.
  • Any time on Saturday or Sunday: Contact the RA on duty for your housing area and they will assist you with reporting your emergency.

How long does it take a maintenance request to be completed?

Repair time depends on the nature of your concern and the day reported. All emergency concerns will be addressed as Facilities Operations becomes aware of the issue and work will continue until the repair has been made in full. Non-emergency maintenance concerns will be addressed during business hours, Monday through Friday from 8:00AM to 4:30PM. Facilities Operations strives to make repairs in a timely manner.

How will a repair be made if I am not home?

Facilities Operations employees will enter your room and make the repair. Prior to entering the room, employees will knock, very loudly, and announce their presence as maintenance staff. They will also leave a Notice of Entry slip for the residents.

What if I have concerns about the duration of the repair or the repair itself?

Please contact Facilities Operations at (936)294-4474 or email at ResLifeMaint@SHSU.edu. We can answer any questions you have and work to make sure you are satisfied.

What if I choose not to report a maintenance concern?

Maintenance needs that are not reported in a timely manner and result in damages will be charged to the resident(s). When in doubt, write it out in a maintenance request.

How much are damage charges?

Damage charge amounts depend on the time required and materials used to repair the issue. Normal wear and tear will not result in a damage charge to the resident. Blatant damage to the room/building will result in monetary charges. Some examples include, but are not limited to:

  • Holes in the wall
  • Broken windows
  • Removal of university property
  • Failure to report a known water leak

How can I prevent mildew from forming/growing in my bathroom?

During and after every shower, residents should leave the bathroom doors open and allow steam to dissipate. If you are in a building equipped with exhaust fans, turn your exhaust fan on during and after shower. Buildings with exhaust fans: Bearkat Village, Raven Village and Sam Houston Village. If mildew does start to form, residents are responsible for cleaning the mildew.

What if my mom/dad/guardian/friend wants information about my maintenance concern?

Please make sure anyone calling on your behalf is listed on your Consent to Disclose (FERPA). You can complete this form with the Residence Life Office.

What if I do not want all the furniture that is in my room?

No university owned furniture will be removed and/or stored for residents. All items must remain in the room they are assigned to.

What can be done to get rid of pests such as ants and roaches?

We ask that you ensure your room is clean, laundry done, dishes washed, trash removed and food is properly stored. Many times theses steps will eliminate pests. If you have kept a tidy residence and pests persist, please place a maintenance request.

How can I identify a member of the Facilities Operations team?

Look for the green shirts! Our full time employees wear a dark green button up shirt with the option to wear an orange shirt on Fridays. The shirts will have "Residence Life" above the right shirt pocket. Our student employees wear green t-shirts that have "Resi Life Maintenance Crew" on the back.

Why do the RAs inspect my room every month?

The RA staff is working to ensure your safety, adherence to policy and cleanliness of your living space. Your RA will address any concerns for these areas. Additionally the RA staff will make sure that you do not have any additional maintenance concerns that need to be reported.

Who will clean my room if I become ill or my roommate/suitemates do not clean?

It is the responsibility of the students to clean their living space. In the event of an illness the student is responsible for cleaning up after themselves. If you and your roommate/suitemates have concerns about cleanliness levels, please see your RA.

What if a maintenance issue is in a public area such as a hallway, stairwell, lobby or laundry room?

Please report the concern to maintenance in the same way you would for your room. Be specific about the location of the problem.

What if I lose or damage my room key?

Please notify your hall staff immediately. They can assist you with a loaner key or a lock change, both at a charge to the student.

What if my Bearkat OneCard access is not functioning properly?

  • Step 1: Verify Card is being swiped correctly in the reader taporswipe.gif
  • Step 2: Check your Bearkat OneCard for damage, wear, or scratches Click here
  • Step 3: Notify hall staff to gain temporary access if your card continues to not function properly
  • Step 4: Visited with Student Account Services and still having difficulties?
  • Step 5: Place a work order with Facilities Management: Click here