Certificate programs are offered to degree seeking and non-degree seeking students. They allow students to complete a specialized program to obtain a certificate. Please note, certificates are not degrees.
- Certificates can range from 9 hours to 20 hours.
- Students must maintain an Overall and SHSU 2.0 GPA while completing their certificate.
- Students must apply for Certificate Awarding in the term they plan to finish their requirements.
- Please note that certificates issued by the Texas Education Agency (TEA) will be distributed by TEA, not SHSU.
- Graduate Certificates
- Academic Advising
- Adult Education
- American History
- Artist Diploma Certificate: Post-Master’s
- Bilingual (Spanish) Educational Diagnostician
- Communication Studies
- Community Development
- Criminal Justice Leadership and Management
- Critical Infrastructure Protection
- Cyber Security
- Data Assurance
- Digital Investigation
- Digital Literacies
- Early Childhood Education
- Early Childhood Special Education
- Educational Technology
- Effective Online Instruction
- Emergency Management
- Geographic Information Systems
- Health Care Quality and Safety
- Health Communication and Public Relations:
- Higher Education Assessment and Institutional Research
- Performer’s Certificate: Post Baccalaureate
- Play Therapy
- Political Science
- Second Language Instruction
- Special Education Transition Services
- Sustainable Agriculture
- Undergraduate Certificates
What is the difference between a certificate, certification, and degree?
- A Certificate is defined as a “non-degree award for completing an educational program of study after high school”.
- A Certification is a credential that verifies someone’s knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform a specific job. They are typically awarded after a candidate completes an assessment of some kind.
- A Degree is an academic credential awarded upon the completion of a specific area of study. Universities offer baccalaureate degrees at the undergraduate level and master’s and doctoral degrees at the graduate level.
Can I order a duplicate/replacement certificate?
Yes. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Will my certificate be displayed on my transcript?
Absolutely! You can request a transcript on our SHSU website through Parchment Services.
Where will my Certificate be mailed?
Permanent legal address on file.
- How do I add a certificate?
Is there a graduation ceremony for certificates?
No, Graduation Ceremonies only apply to degree-seeking students.
Is there a fee to receive my certificate?
- There is a $50.00 fee to apply and receive your certificate that will be placed on your student account. You can make payment through Cashier’s Office.
Do I have to finish my Certificate and Degree at the same time?
Possibly, some programs have different requirements. Students are recommended to reach out to their Academic Advisor for more information about the requirements of their program.
When do I apply to receive my certificate?
- Students apply for their certificate in the term they plan on completing their requirements.
Can I have multiple Certificates?
Yes, You will need to apply for each certificate to be added to your degree plan.