Graduation Checklist

  •   Required Academic Advisement

    Verify with your Academic Advisor that you are on-track to complete all degree requirements. Seniors are required to get advised prior to registering for classes each semester.

    Make an Appointment  
  •   Apply to Graduate

    The Graduation Application is required in the term in which you are completing all of your degree requirements, regardless of your intention to participate at the commencement ceremony. Submitting your graduation application will ensure you are awarded your degree if all requirements have been met by the end of the semester (Graduation Application policies).

    Graduation Application Fees and Deadlines

    Graduation Application Fee Deadlines



    As noted in the Academic Calendar

    Graduation Fee*

    For applications received by the deadline

    Late Graduation Fee**

    For applications received after the deadline
    Fall 2024 Wednesday, September 11, 2024 @ 5:00PM $50 (Effective Fall 2021) $80 (Effective Fall 2021)
    Spring 2024 Wednesday, January 31st, 2024 @ 5:00PM $50 $80
    Summer 2024 Tuesday, June 4, 2024 @ 5:00PM $50 $80

    *Graduation Application fees are not refundable or transferrable to a future term
    **Names of late applicants will not appear in the commencement program

    Submit Your Graduation Application  

  •   Check Commencement Ceremony Time

    If you plan to participate, check the Commencement Ceremony Schedule to determine when the ceremony for your academic college (or major) will occur.

    Prepare for the ceremony 

  •   Finalize All Degree Plan Exceptions

    Follow-up with your advisor if you need to initiate any paperwork for degree plan exceptions. Monitor your DegreeWorks for any updates to your degree plan.

    • All Exceptions should be received in the Registrar’s Office no later than the 12th class day of the Fall/Spring term or 4th class day of Summer term.
  •   Meet Transfer Credit Deadline

    If you are planning to transfer in any credits to satisfy a degree requirement in your last semester, the transfer credit must be officially received and applied to your degree by SHSU's Final Grade deadline. The deadline may be found on the Academic Calendar.

    • Please verify on the Monday after the commencement ceremony that all of your transfer work has been received and applied to your degree.
  •   Check Your Graduation Status
    1. Initial Evaluation
    Check your DegreeWorks notes for an initial graduation evaluation from your Degree Evaluator. This is to verify if you are on-track to meet all requirements by the end of the semester, or if you are lacking any requirements.

    2. Final Degree Evaluation
    Check your SHSU email or DegreeWorks notes for your final evaluation, which will be sent to you approximately 2 weeks after the commencement ceremony. This is to determine if the degree has been awarded or denied.

    If all degree requirements have been satisfied at this time, then your transcript will be updated with a “Degree Awarded” status.
  •   Verify Name Spelling
    We strongly recommend verifying how your first and last name are spelled in MySam. Names may be printed in various graduation-related documents as applicable (such as diplomas, seating cards, requested transcripts, commencement programs, etc.).

  •   Order Cap and Gown

    Order your cap and gown through the Herff Jones prior to the commencement ceremony. Deadline to order is coming soon.

    Learn more about graduation regalia here  

  •   Verify Diploma Mailing Address

    Diplomas will be mailed to your "Permanent Legal Address" on file (note: diplomas will not be mailed to the "Mailing" address or any other address type on file).

    The deadline to update your Permanent Legal Address and ensure your diploma is mailed to the correct address is the last class day of the semester in which you have applied to graduate (see Academic Calendar for last class day).

    Verify and Update Your Permanent Legal Address  

  •   Get Finances in Order
    Satisfy Outstanding Balances
    All outstanding balances must be paid in full prior to the release of diplomas and transcripts. Be sure to check your student account via MySam for any outstanding balances. See the Bursar's Office to make your payment.

    Exit Counseling for Financial Aid
    If you have used financial aid, you must complete Exit Counseling in MySam. Failing to do so will prevent your official transcripts from being released. Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.

    Tuition Rebate Program
    The Tuition Rebate program is designed to provide financial incentive for you to complete a bachelor's degree efficiently. To be eligible for rebates under this program, students must meet all of the conditions and deadlines on the first and second pages of the Tuition Rebate form.
  •   Complete Your Journey
    Need Help Finding Your Dream Job?
    Career Services can assist you in your career search. It is recommended that you update your BEARKATS GET HIRED (partnered with Handshake) account. You can explore thousands of careers and establish a strong job-search network in Handshake.

    Take the First Destination Survey!

    Congratulations on Graduation! Please take a few moments to fill out your graduation survey to share your post-graduation plans with the Sam Houston State University community!

    Finances After Graduation

    The Student Money Management Center (SMMC) assists students and alumni with obtaining a financial game plan after graduation by providing information on loan repayments, public service loan forgiveness, budgeting, emergency funds, and long-term wealth and retirement planning

    To schedule a personalized consultation, please contact the SMCC at 936.294.2600, by email at, or by visiting the SMMC offices located in the Student Affairs Annex at 919 Bearkat Blvd.

    Leave Your Legacy
    Visit the Senior Class website for more information or leave your legacy today! For additional information regarding SHSU graduate programs, please visit the SHSU Graduate Studies website.