Required Academic Advisement
Verify with your Academic Advisor that you are on-track to complete all degree requirements. Seniors are required to get advised prior to registering for classes each semester.Make an Appointment
Apply to Graduate
The Graduation Application is required in the term in which you are completing all of your degree requirements, regardless of your intention to participate at the commencement ceremony. Submitting your graduation application will ensure you are awarded your degree if all requirements have been met by the end of the semester.
- Early Bird Application Fee: $40 Until September 1, 2020 @ 5pm
- Late Application Fee: $60 Beginning September 2, 2020 @ 8am
Note: Names of late applicants will not appear in the commencement program.
Review Graduation Application Policies
- Check Commencement Ceremony Time
Finalize All Degree Plan Exceptions
Follow-up with your advisor if you need to initiate any paperwork for degree plan exceptions. Monitor your DegreeWorks for any updates to your degree plan.
- All Exceptions should be received in the Registrar’s Office no later than the 12th class day of the Fall/Spring term or 4th class day of Summer term.
- Meet Transfer Credit Deadline
If you are planning to transfer in any credits to satisfy a degree requirement in your last semester, the transfer credit must be officially received and applied to your degree by SHSU's Final Grade deadline. The deadline may be found on the Academic Calendar.
- Please verify on the Monday after the commencement ceremony that all of your transfer work has been received and applied to your degree.
- Check Your Graduation Status
1. Initial EvaluationCheck your DegreeWorks notes for an initial graduation evaluation from your Degree Evaluator. This is to verify if you are on-track to meet all requirements by the end of the semester, or if you are lacking any requirements.
2. Final Degree EvaluationCheck your SHSU email or DegreeWorks notes for your final evaluation, which will be sent to you approximately 2 weeks after the commencement ceremony. This is to determine if the degree has been awarded or denied.
If all degree requirements have been satisfied at this time, then your transcript will be updated with a “Degree Awarded” status.
- Verify Name SpellingWe strongly recommend verifying how your first and last name are spelled in MySam. Names may be printed in various graduation-related documents as applicable (such as diplomas, seating cards, requested transcripts, commencement programs, etc.).
Will my name be spelled correctly?
Your name will be printed as it is spelled in MySam. If you need to change the way your name is spelled in any way, submit a Name Change Request form.
Will my name not be printed in the commencement program due to withholding the public release of my name?
If you have previously submitted the FERPA Opt-Out Form to withhold your public directory information, your name will not be published in the commencement program.
If you wish to reverse your "withheld" status so that your name is published:You must submit the FERPA Opt-Out form and select "I request 'Directory Information' on my records to be released." Please note that your information will become public directory information once again.
If you have not previously submitted the FERPA Opt-Out form but wish to restrict your name from being published:You must submit the FERPA Opt-Out form and select "I request 'Directory Information' on my records to be withheld."
The Deadline to change your name and to change your FERPA Opt-Out Status:
- Spring Graduation - March 1
- Summer Graduation - June 15
- Fall Graduation - September 25
- Order Cap and Gown
- Verify Diploma Mailing Address
Diplomas will be mailed to your "Permanent Legal Address" on file (note: diplomas will not be mailed to the "Mailing" address or any other address type on file).
The deadline to update your Permanent Legal Address and ensure your diploma is mailed to the correct address is the last class day of the semester in which you have applied to graduate (see Academic Calendar for last class day).
Verify and Update Your Permanent Legal Address
- Get Finances in Order
Satisfy Outstanding BalancesAll outstanding balances must be paid in full prior to the release of diplomas and transcripts. Be sure to check your student account via MySam for any outstanding balances. See the Bursar's Office to make your payment.
Exit Counseling for Financial AidIf you have used financial aid, you must complete Exit Counseling in MySam. Failing to do so will prevent your official transcripts from being released. Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.
Tuition Rebate ProgramThe Tuition Rebate program is designed to provide financial incentive for you to complete a bachelor's degree efficiently. To be eligible for rebates under this program, students must meet all of the conditions and deadlines on the first and second pages of the Tuition Rebate form.
- Complete Your Journey
Need Help Finding Your Dream Job?Career Services can assist you in your career search. It is recommended that you update your BEARKATS GET HIRED (partnered with Handshake) account. You can explore thousands of careers and establish a strong job-search network in Handshake.
Take the First Destination Survey!
Congratulations on Graduation! Please take a few moments to fill out your graduation survey to share your post-graduation plans with the Sam Houston State University community!
Finances After Graduation
The Student Money Management Center (SMMC) assists students and alumni with obtaining a financial game plan after graduation by providing information on loan repayments, public service loan forgiveness, budgeting, emergency funds, and long-term wealth and retirement planning
To schedule a personalized consultation, please contact the SMCC at 936.294.2600, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by visiting the SMMC offices located in the Student Affairs Annex at 919 Bearkat Blvd.