Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Jump to a FAQ Section:
How to Apply  |  Transcripts  |  Test Scores  |  Application Status & Decision
Classes & Tuition  |  Multiple Applications & Re-Application  |  Check Application Status

How to Apply

How do I apply?

Submit a graduate application from ApplyTexas, pay the non-refundable application fee, and provide an official transcript from your baccalaureate degree granting institution. Most programs require additional information such as official admission test scores (e.g. GRE, GMAT) and letters of recommendation. Please see the application process for more information.

International students must submit additional documentation, such as an official evaluation of foreign education credentials and TOEFL scores.

What are the application deadlines?

The Office of Admissions has the following deadlines:

  • August 1 for fall admission
  • December 1 for spring admission
  • May 15 for summer admission

Please note that some programs have earlier deadlines. Review your program page for program-specific deadline requirements.

International Students have earlier admission deadlines and should contact the Office of International Programs regarding application requirements.

Where do I send my admission documents?

Graduate applicants may upload some required supplemental application items like resume, document of intent, and writing samples at the SHSU Self Service Center application portal, as well as request letters of recommendation. Transcripts should be submitted to Office of Admissions – Graduate Programs, SHSU, Box 2478, Huntsville, TX 77341-2478. We do not accept uploaded, emailed, or faxed transcripts. Identify yourself with your name and date of birth on all items.

What undergraduate GPA do I need to be accepted into graduate school?

For admission to a post-baccalaureate or master’s program, the University requires a minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.5 or 2.8 on your last sixty hours of undergraduate coursework. The undergraduate GPA is the GPA from courses taken at the degree granting institution. Requirements of individual graduate programs may be more rigorous than those set by the University as outlined in the current Graduate Catalog.

How do I apply to a certification only program?

To submit an application for a certificate program, you will select non-degree as your major on ApplyTexas. The last page contains the Custom Questions section where you will be prompted to select the certification program you wish to pursue. Review your program page to see if you are required to submit any additional materials.

Back to Top


Do you require official transcripts?

Yes, Office of Admissions – Graduate Programs requires official transcripts. Examples of official transcripts and how to send to Office of Admissions – Graduate Programs are listed:

  • You may arrange for your school(s) to send sealed official transcripts to Office of Admissions – Graduate Programs. Allow for a minimum of two weeks for delivery.
  • You may obtain a sealed official transcript from your school and mail it (still sealed) to Office of Admissions – Graduate Programs.
  • You may request that your school(s) send electronically submitted official transcripts to SHSU Office of Admissions – Graduate Programs.

Photocopies or faxed transcripts are NOT considered official.

You may mail your official transcript(s) to:
Office of Admissions – Graduate Programs
Sam Houston State University
Box 2478
Huntsville, TX 77341-2478

For FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries, please use our physical address:
Office of Admissions – Graduate Programs
1903 University Avenue
Estill Bldg. Suite 112
Huntsville, TX 77340

Office of Admissions – Graduate Programs accepts official electronic transcripts submitted directly from your university or from a valid third party provider.

What is a “bachelor’s degree conferral?”

A bachelor’s degree conferral is the degree you received and the date you received it. These are noted on your transcript after you graduate.

If you are in the process of completing your degree, you will need to submit a current transcript showing your final semester of coursework in process. After graduation, you will need to submit a final transcript showing your degree conferral.

If I completed my baccalaureate degree at SHSU, do I have to send an official transcript to Office of Admissions – Graduate Programs?

Office of Admissions – Graduate Programs does not require SHSU students to submit an SHSU transcript; however, an individual program may request that you submit one. Please contact the graduate advisor for your program specific requirements.

Back to Top

Test Scores

What is the GRE institution code for SHSU?

The SHSU institution code for the GRE is 6643. You do not need to specify a department.

Is the GRE required for all programs?

No. Some programs require the GMAT, such as the College of Business Administration graduate programs, while a few education programs will accept the MAT. Some programs do not require the GRE or any admissions test.

If I already have a master's degree or extensive professional experience, do I need the GRE/GMAT?

Your graduate program advisor will determine your eligibility for a test score waiver. Please contact the advisor for your desired graduate program for specific requirements.

For how many years are GRE, GMAT, and MAT scores valid?

GRE, GMAT, and MAT scores are valid for five years.

Back to Top

Application Status & Decision

How do I check the status of my application?

You can check your application status and upload outstanding supplemental materials status online. If you haven't already, create your account at the SHSU Self Service Center application portal. It may take up to 48 hours for your application information to become visible on your application portal account after creation. You may also contact the Office of Admissions – Graduate Programs or your graduate advisor.

When will I receive an admission decision?

Your application is with the program from the time you apply to decision. Only when your application is complete, however, is the program able to review your application to make an admission recommendation. The review process and the amount of time it takes varies by program.

Back to Top

Classes & Tuition

What is considered full-time and part-time?

A full-time course load is nine credit hours or more in a fall or spring term. Less than nine-hours is part-time.

How much does graduate school cost?

The most recent fee structure for SHSU is available through the Bursar's Office.

Back to Top

Multiple Applications & Re-Application

If I want to change majors, do I have to submit a new application, transcripts, and other documents?

Submit a new graduate application from ApplyTexas to request admission into a different degree program. Submit all new admission materials required for the second application to Office of Admissions – Graduate Programs. All previously submitted transcripts and test scores will be applied to the new application. Contact the program to determine if they will accept any of your previously submitted materials.

If I've already paid the SHSU graduate application fee, do I have to pay it again?

The graduate application fee is non-refundable and is required with each ApplyTexas application you submit.

Yes, you may apply to more than one program if you submit an additional ApplyTexas application and pay the non-refundable application fee. However, you may only enroll in one graduate degree program at a time.

Back to Top

Application Status Portal

Upload Supplemental Application Items

Graduate applicants may now upload some required supplemental application items like Resume, Document of Intent, and Writing Samples at the SHSU Self Service Center application portal, as well as request letters of recommendation. Expect to receive an email with more information after you apply on ApplyTexas.

Back to Top