Forms and FAQs

OIP Photo 2

Useful Forms

Form Name Description
Reduced Course Load (Academic) SHSU helps F-1 students maintain lawful status by preventing them from enrolling for less than full-time. A course load that falls below the full-time requirement, i.e. an reduced course load, requires approval from a DHS Designated School Official (DSO). F-1 students must first complete this form and return it to the Global Engagement Center to request an override.
Reduced Course Load (Medical) In order to authorize a reduced course load based upon a medical condition, the student must provide current medical documentation and the GEC must reauthorize the drop below full time for each new term, session, or semester.
Concurrent Enrollment F-1 International Students are only permitted to enroll in one distance education course each semester in order to satisfy full time requirements.
Curricular Practical Training Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is defined by federal regulations as “an integral part of an established curriculum” related to your program of study. This can be in the form of an internship, practicum, or in the case of graduate and doctoral students, thesis and dissertation courses taken for course credit.
Optional Practical Training As an F-1 student, you may apply to Department of Homeland Security (DHS) for authorization for 12 months (up to 36) of temporary employment for Optional Practical Training (OPT). The employment should be directly related to your major area of study. 
Extension of I-20 Non-immigrant F-1 students are permitted to remain in the United States for the time necessary to complete their educational objective(s).
Reinstatement to F-1 When you are “out-of-status” you are no longer eligible to the F-1 status benefits such as on-campus work, CPT, and OPT among others. To regain F-1 status you can apply for reinstatement to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or, alternatively, you may leave the U.S. and re-enter under a new I-20, a valid visa, and current passport.
SEVIS Record Transfer In International students (with F-1 visas) that wish to transfer to Sam Houston State University need to meet the academic as well as the immigration requirements for this transfer. Simply transferring academically doesn’t complete your SEVIS transfer.
SEVIS Record Transfer Out Fill this form out if you wish to transfer out of SHSU. We will need a copy of you acceptance letter at the new institution as well.
Dependent Form If you are studying at SHSU with an F-1 visa status, your spouse and unmarried children (under age 21) are eligible to apply for F-2 visas.

Frequently Asked Questions




  • Can I work while studying at SHSU?
      International students in F-1 status who are maintaining legal student status and are enrolled for a full course of study at the University may work on-campus for no more than 28 hours per week while school is in session. During holidays and vacation periods, you may work full time.
  • What is Curricular Practical Training (CPT)?
      CPT is an integral part of an F-1 student’s established curriculum (before graduating), which allows them to engage in experiential training in any type of required or optional internship or practicum experience. F1 students with CPT approval can practice for up to 12 months of practice.
  • What is Optional Practical Training (OPT)?
      OPT allows F-1 students to gain practical work experience (on- or off-campus) by applying their academic knowledge to a position directly related to their area of study (after graduation). F1 students with CPT approval can practice for up to 12 months of practice.