OIP Photo 9

F1 student visa regulations stipulate that international students should be engaging in study toward a degree as their primary focus while in the U.S. It is possible, however, to request authorization for certain types of work while you are on an F1 visa.

International students can request authorization for the following types of work: (1) On-campus employment for up to 20 hours/week at any point in their degree program, (2) Curricular Practical Training (CPT) for pre-graduation internships, clinicals, or student teaching, and (3) Optional Practical Training (OPT) for post-graduation work. Use the buttons below to learn more about each type of work authorization.

Note: Work without authorization is a violation of your F1 student status and may lead to termination of your I-20. Please do not work without authorization.