Eligible undergraduate students enrolled at SHSU can earn a four-year bachelor’s degree, a two-year master’s degree and the Texas Teacher Certification in just five years!
The 4+1 program helps you get ahead by providing the opportunity to take graduate level courses during your senior year. You will still graduate on time before seamlessly transitioning to the Curriculum and Instruction M.Ed. program for an additional year of study.
The M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction is designed for students interested in researching, developing and implementing curriculum changes to support student achievement.
Students admitted to the 4+1TEACH program will
- take three graduate courses in their final semester as an undergraduate
- finish their master’s degree in just 1 more year
- Complete a paid internship as a teacher of record in lieu of student teaching
- Participate in professional development tailored to novice teachers
- Earn micro-credential to show off how much they’ve learned
Students apply for the program the semester before they plan to student teach. Candidates pursuing certification in the top five high-needs area (as published by the Texas Education Agency) will receive priority.
Admission to the program is competitive.
Students admitted to the program may be eligible to receive financial assistance throughout the program
- Loan Forgiveness
- Departmental Scholarships
- Distance Learning Scholarships
- SHSU Online 60x30 Scholarships
- District incentives
- US Department of Education SEED Grant
Program participants are required to secure a full time teaching position within a partner school district and begin teaching the semester after they obtain their bachelor degree from SHSU. The program requires that participants make a three year commitment to the school district, during which time they are supported by a campus mentor and university supervisor. Those who do not complete the required service all be required to repay any scholarships received as part of the program.
- Clear Creek
- New Caney
- New Waverly
- SHSU Charter School