The Department of Geography and Geology at SHSU offers a GIS Graduate Certificate Program developed to provide students with GIS skills required in today's job market. The GIS certificate curriculum is developed with the objective of providing a solid foundation in GIS theories and applications. Students enrolled in the GIS Certificate program at SHSU will learn to use technological tools and skills in their areas of expertise and in several major application areas. This includes the use of GIS in infrastructure management, the oil and gas industry, public health, planning, and business applications. The curriculum will provide students with hands-on experience in major GIS and remote sensing vendor-specific and open-source software packages, such as ArcGIS,ERDAS IMAGINE, Geoda, and Fusion. Students will learn:
- different spatial data structures and their essential properties;
- principles and methods for collecting spatial data;
- principles of map design and effective cartographic communication;
- methods of spatial analysis, ways spatial data can be used to investigate complex problems; and
- how to customize GIS software to meet organizational needs.
The program is intended to serve:
- recent graduates who wish to acquire technical expertise to support the knowledge gained in their undergraduate major;
- returning students who wish to acquire specialized training to meet current or future job requirements; and
- students at the graduate level who wish to demonstrate a level of mastery of the subject area by obtaining a certificate.
|Catalog Entry||Graduate Certificate|
|Length||15 Credit Hours|
|Costs||Rates Per Semester|
|Admission Requirements||Application Materials|