Effective August 1st, 2016, a license holder may carry a concealed handgun on or about the license holder's person while the license holder is on the campus of an institution of higher education. Sam Houston State University recognizes the right of individuals licensed to carry concealed handguns to do so on campus.
Prohibited Events & Locations
Signs will clearly identify our Prohibited Carry Locations around campus. A handgun cannot be carried the following locations at any time or a location hosting of the following events.
You cannot carry at any of the following events:
- Official athletic events
- Governmental meetings
- Official hearings for students and/or employees
- University Interscholastic League (UIL) events
Hosting one of these events? Request signage installation
You cannot carry in the following locations at any time:
- Bearkat Softball Complex
- Bowers Stadium
- Charles W. Tackett University Police Building (Secure Areas of Building Only)
- Chemistry & Forensic Science Building, Room 302 & 323 (Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Lab)
- Coliseum Parking Garage Office (Secure Areas of Building Only)
- Counseling Clinic at the Woodlands Campus Suite 151
- Don Sanders Baseball Complex
- Jack Staggs Counseling Center
- Johnson Coliseum
- McAdams Tennis Center
- Meredith and Miriam York Field Events Center
- Powell Health & Counseling Center
- Pritchett Field
- Psychological Services Center
- Services for Students with Disabilities Office
Who Can Carry?
Individuals who are 21 years of age and who currently possess a handgun license from the State of Texas or an approved reciprocating state may legally carry a concealed handgun on or about their person.
Storing a Handgun
License holders residing in campus housing are responsible for the safe storage of their handgun whenever it is not on or about their person. Handguns & ammunition must be stored in a locking case or safe provided by the license holder and must be kept out of sight of roommates or guests.
Handguns & ammunition should be stored:
- In a locking case or safe
- Out of sight
- Inaccessible by unauthorized individuals