Effective August 1st, 2016, a license holder may carry a concealed handgun on or about the license holder's person while the license holder is on the campus of an institution of higher education. Sam Houston State University recognizes the right of individuals licensed to carry concealed handguns to do so on campus.
Prohibited Events & Locations
Signs will clearly identify our Prohibited Carry Locations around campus. These include:
- Official Athletic Events (Collegiate or University Interscholastic League) held in Bowers Stadium, Don Sanders Baseball Complex, Bearkat Softball Complex, Meredith and Miriam York Field Events Center, the McAdams Tennis Center, the Johnson Coliseum, and Pritchett Field Stadium.
- Any governmental meeting that takes place on the campuses of SHSU will be a PCCL.
- Powell Health & Counseling Center (1608 Avenue J), Jack Staggs Counseling Center (1932 Bobby K. Marks Drive), Psychological Services Center (919 Bearkat Boulevard), Services for Students with Disabilities Office (Lee Drain Annex 1916 Avenue J), & Counseling Clinic at the Woodlands Campus Suite 151 (3380 College Park Drive; The Woodlands, Texas 77384).
- Official University Student/Employee Disciplinary/Grievance Hearings.
- Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Lab (Chemistry & Forensic Science Building, Room 302 & 323).
- Department of Public Safety Services (Secure Areas of Building Only in the Charles W. Tackett University Police Building 2424 Sam Houston Avenue; Huntsville, Texas 77340).
- Buildings, grounds, or other University venues hosting a University Interscholastic League Event (Official, Sanctioned Competitions).
Hosting one of these events? Request signage installation
Who Can Carry?
Individuals who are 21 years of age and who currently possess a handgun license from the State of Texas or an approved reciprocating state may legally carry a concealed handgun on or about their person.
Storing a Handgun
License holders residing in campus housing are responsible for the safe storage of their handgun whenever it is not on or about their person. Handguns & ammunition must be stored in a locking case or safe provided by the license holder and must be kept out of sight of roommates or guests.
Handguns & ammunition should be stored:
- In a locking case or safe
- Out of sight
- Inaccessible by unauthorized individuals