Summer Financial Aid


After June 15th, log into to complete the Annual Student Loan Acknowledgement requirement.

FAQ Icon

Summer Aid FAQs

Do I need to apply for Summer Financial Aid?

  • No, but you must already have a completed current award year FAFSA on file
  • You also need to register for at least 6 hours at SHSU (undergraduate) or 3 hours (graduate student) to be reviewed and awarded all summer aid.

It’s my first time at SHSU, how do I receive financial aid?

  • All summer first time attendees at SHSU must enroll in at least 6 hours for both summer and the upcoming fall terms to receive summer financial aid.
  • You must have a good SAP and have all aid requirements complete for summer.

How many hours do I need to take in order to receive summer aid?

  • You must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 total credit hours as an undergraduate (ex. 3 hours in summer 1 and 3 hours in summer 2 or 6 hours in either summer 1 or summer 2) or 3 hours as a graduate student.
  • Courses must be on your degree plan.
  • Any changes to enrollment may result in changes to your financial aid.

How much financial aid can I have?


  • If you did not use all of the aid offered to you during the previous fall and spring semesters, you may receive the balance of those loans in the summer semester. (Example: you were awarded a $5,500 subsidized loan for the fall/spring terms, but you only accepted $4,500; the additional $1,000 will be offered to you for the summer term.)
  • If your classification changes after the spring term, you may be eligible for additional summer aid – ASK US!


  • If you received the Pell Grant in the fall and/or spring terms you can receive up to 50% of your fall/spring Pell Grant aid for the summer term. (Example: you received $6,195 in Pell Grant for the fall/spring terms, you could receive up to $3,097 for the summer term.)
  • Pell Grants are calculated on hours enrolled, from 6 up to 12 hours.

When will my summer financial aid be awarded?

  • All eligible students registered in the required hours will receive summer aid notifications starting mid-April.
  • Aid Notifications are sent to your SHSU Email Account.

What other grants can I get?

  • Grants for the summer term are limited.
  • Priority is given to students with the greatest financial need and is distributed on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Are summer scholarships available?

  • There is no summer scholarship application.
  • If summer scholarship funds are available, we automatically award them based on the current application.
  • If you are selected for a summer scholarship, you are notified via your SHSU Email.

Will receiving summer financial aid affect my financial aid award package in the upcoming fall semester?

Summer aid will only impact your future aid eligibility if you are near your aggregate Pell grant and/or loan limits. If you have any questions regarding this, please contact the financial aid office.

How do I pay for summer?

  • If you are enrolled in the May Mini-Session, you must pay in full the day before your session starts or utilize the Emergency Loan until financial aid is disbursed for Summer I.
  • Financial aid disburses 10 days before your first day of class, whether that is Summer I or Summer II.
  • You must pay your summer term balance in full the day before school starts, there are NO INSTALLMENT PLANS.

Is the Parent PLUS loan available for the summer term?

  • If you received the Parent PLUS loan in the fall/and or spring terms, a summer PLUS loan will be included in your aid.
  • For this aid to be disbursed, your parent must complete a new credit application using the current award year application and selecting summer month periods (May through August).
  • If you received the Additional Unsubsidized Loan in the fall/spring terms, then the Parent PLUS loan will only be offered if the parent applies for and is approved for the new loan.

What if I submitted a TASFA?

  • You do not need complete a summer TASFA.
  • Students who have completed a TASFA for 2019-2020 may be eligible for the Texas Public Educational Grant (TPEG) during the summer session as long as they meet the eligibility requirements.
  • Students can also apply for the College Access Loan (CAL) on the HHLoans website for the summer session.

Back to Top