What is included in the Degree Program?
The Master of Arts in Technical Communication provides students with advanced study of technical and professional writing. By learning theory and applying it actively to coursework, students in this program develop essential workplace skills:
- Communicating technical information clearly and efficiently for audiences who have nontechnical backgrounds.
- Designing documents that are both useful and appealing to users.
- Producing documents for print, web, video, and multimodal distribution.
- Managing large communication projects.
This 36-hour program prepares students to enter a variety of fields, including medical writing, software design/documentation, procedural writing, web authoring, and more.
How Can I Communicate My Expertise?
The landscape for creating, maintaining, and communicating information continues to evolve. Established professionals find themselves presenting complex information across a variety of media—from video to social media to complex written documents. Employers want employees who know what to say, when to say it, and how to say it. Technical Communication seeks to streamline a technical process to users across a variety of platforms.
SHSU's MA in Technical Communication provides you with the theory and practice to excel in a variety of fields including:
- Technical Writers and Editors
- IDITA and XML Authors
- System and Technology Managers
- Instructional Designers
- Usability and Human Factors Professionals
- Visual Designers
- Web Designers
- Trainers and E-Learning Developers
- Teachers of Technical Communication
- Content Creators/Marketers
Why Should I Study Technical Communication?
Technical Communication is a great field of study for multiple reasons:
- U.S. News & World Report ranks Technical Writer as #4 in Best Creative and Media Jobs and one of the Top 100 Best Jobs. (USNews)
- People need clear, understandable information. The Bureau of Labor Statistics explains: “The growing reliance on technologically sophisticated products in the home and workplace and the increasing complexity of medical and scientific information needed for daily living will create many new job opportunities for technical writers” (BLS Occupational Outlook Handbook).
- Technical Communication is projected to grow at a rate of 7% from 2019 to 2029 (BLS).
- Technical Communicators are in demand. The median 2019 salary for this field was $72,850 per year. In the Houston metroplex, the 2019 average salary was over $66,890 per year (BLS).
|Master of Arts (MA)
|36 Credit Hours
|Rates Per Semester
- Fall: August 1
- Spring: December 1
Please note that application deadlines will occasionally change. Please contact your academic advisor (listed in the contact section) for confirmation on application deadlines.