Returned Payment

A returned payment is one returned to the University rightfully unpaid due to no fault of the bank or the University. The payment may have been a check written by the student or on behalf by a spouse, guardian, friend, or sponsor. The payment may also have been conducted online through the ACH, e-check, credit card, or debit card option.

The Cost

A $25.00 processing fee is charged for each returned payment. Students have 10 days from the date of the Student Financial Services' Office notification to pay the returned payment and the processing fee or to contact the University.

What to Do

To resolve a returned payment, you can make a new payment to the Cashier's office with a

  • Money order
  • Cashier's check
  • Cash
  • Credit Card (Online Only)

Cashier's Office

Unacceptable Payment

Personal checks are not an acceptable form of payment when a check has previously been returned.

Special Circumstances

Students will have the opportunity to be heard regarding any special circumstances. Such circumstances will be given full and fair consideration. The Director of Student Financial Services or a delegated employee may grant an exception to the returned payment policy, based on the evidence presented.

Common Reasons

Payments are commonly returned due to one of the following reasons.

Clerical Error. Entering just one incorrect digit prompts an error and the payment return when SHSU attempts to access the funds. Ensure each account number is correct when remitting payment again.

Incorrect Account Number. Your debit or credit card number is not the same as a checking or savings account number. Typing a debit or credit card number in the account field prompts a returned check.

Insufficient Funds. The funds were not available for accessing from your bank account within 2-3 business days after the origination date.

Avoid Past Due Balances

Failure to respond within 10 days may result in the student being resigned from the University. The student should not assume that we are resigning him or her. If the student stops going to class without officially resigning from school, he or she will be subject to the grade of F. A student who fails to make payment before the first day of final exams will not receive credit for the work done that semester and will not be allowed to register for a future semester until he or she pays the delinquent amount. In addition, returned checks may be referred to the District Attorney of Walker County for prosecution and collection.

Past Due Balances

For more information, read our Returned Payment Policy.

Give Website Feedback