Students attending Texas public institutions of higher education must be in compliance with the Texas Success Initiative (TSI). The law requires all entering college students to be assessed for college readiness in mathematics, reading, and writing unless the student qualifies for an exemption. To read the law in full, click here.
In order to be ADVISED and REGISTER, students must meet TSI requirements.
To view your current TSI status: Visit MySam and select the "Registration" tab. From the "Registration Toolbox" you can check your TSI status or view test scores.
TSI Request Form and Exemptions
Submitting TSIA2 (TSI Assessment Version 2) Scores
If you have previous TSIA2 scores, you will need to submit the TSI Score Request Form to provide to Sam Houston State University with written permission to download and access your TSI Assessment results.
- Our office may be unable to locate your TSI Assessment scores if the details you provide on the form do not match the information you provided to the Testing Center where you completed the TSI Assessment.
- Please allow up to two business days for your TSI Assessment scores to be updated onto your Sam Houston State University student record.
You may already be exempt from TSI requirements based on your standardized testing scores or other criteria.
If you are not exempt, you must complete three steps in order to meet TSI requirements:
- Step 1: Take the Pre-Assessment Activity.
- Step 2: Pass the quiz at the end of the Pre-Assessment Activity.
- Step 3: Take the TSI Assessment Test on-campus at the SHSU Testing Center or test at a community college closer to home using the Remote Test Application.
If you DO NOT receive a college ready classification score from the TSIA2 Exam, you must follow a developmental education plan.
The Reading and Writing sections of the previous version of the TSI Assessment have been renamed and combined into one section titled "English Language Arts and Reading" for the TSIA2.
|TSIA2 Placement Status||Mathematics||
English Language Arts and
and Essay Score of 5
and Diagnostic Score of 6
and Essay Score of 5
and Diagnostic Score of 5
Not College Ready
See Advisor for Details
and Diagnostic Score of 1-5
ELAR 900 - 944
and Essay Score of 1-4
and Diagnostic Score of 1-4
For immediate assistance, please contact the Registrar's Office: