The Alternative Teacher Certification program is designed to prepare students for a career in teaching within the State of Texas P-12 education system. The program requires the completion of teaching content learning, through our high-quality online modules, and with the support of a personal mentor with the year-long internship certificate in an approved Texas school district. Upon successful completion, students earn 12 graduate hours towards an M.Ed. in Teaching and Learning.
- Earn 12 credit hours toward an M.Ed. in Teaching and Learning
- Program Cost: $5,995
- Multiple entry points throughout the year
- High-Quality Online Modules
- Personal Mentoring and support
- Teacher Certification
- 3.0 GPA overall or in last 60 credit hours
- Any BA or BS degree
- Pass a pre-admission diagnostic test from 240 Tutoring in the certification area you want to teach. Please email Holly Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org for support with selecting the appropriate test.
How to Enroll
- Apply at ApplyTexas
- Pay the application fee
- Follow all instructions for uploading application requirements
- Submit full application
- Wait for email from SHSU to set up your Student Self-Service Center (SSC)
- Upload your transcripts
- Upload you 240 Tutoring pre-admission diagnostic test scores
- Upload your essay following the prompts given
- If admitted to the program, you must accept the admissions decision
How do I pay?
The cost for the program is $5995. This bundle price includes all tuition and fees for the 12 graduate hours you will complete. The tuition for this program is not eligible for financial aid or scholarship. However, we currently have partnerships with several Houston area school districts that offer financial support.
How do I decide which certification is right for me?
Sam Houston State University's ACP offers several certification areas. Per the Texas Administrative Code §227.10. Admission Criteria:
(4) For an applicant who will be seeking initial certificate in the classroom teacher class of certificate, the applicant shall have successfully completed, prior to admission, at least:
(A) a minimum of 12 semester credit hours in the subject specific content area for the certification sought, unless certification sought is for mathematics or science at or above Grade 7; or
(B) 15 semester credit hours in the subject specific content area for the certification sought if teh certification sought is for mathematics or science at or above Grade 7; or
(C) a passing score on the appropriate content certification examination as specified in the figure provided in this subparagraph. Figure: 19 TAC §227.10(a)(4)(C)
For assistance in determining the appropriate certification and certification pre-admission test, reach out to our program director for support.
- Art (Grades EC-12)
- Biligual Education Supplemental-Spanish (Grades NA)
- Core Subjects with STR (Grades 4-8)
- Core Subjects with STR (Grades EC-6)
- Dance (Grades 6-12)
- English Language Arts and Reading (Grades 7-12)
- English Language Arts and Reading with STR (Grades 4-8)
- English Language Arts and Reading/Social Studies with STR (Grades 4-8)
- English as a Second Language Supplemental (Grades NA)
- Family and Consumer Sciences (Grades 6-12)
- Health (Grades EC-12)
- History (Grades 7-12)
- Journalism (Grades 7-12)
- Languages Other Than English - Spanish (Grades EC-12)
- Life Science (Grades 7-12)
- Mathematics (Grades 4-8)
- Mathematics (Grades 7-12)
- Mathematics/Science (Grades 4-8)
- Music (Grades EC-12)
- Physical Education (Grades EC-12)
- Physical Science (Grades 6-12)
- Science (Grades 4-8)
- Science (Grades 7-12)
- Social Studies (Grades 4-8)
- Social Studies (Grades 7-12)
- Special Education (Grades EC-12)
- Speech (Grades 7-12)
- Technology Education (Grades 6-12)
- Theatre (Grades EC-12)
What are the testing and certification requirements?
Please visit the SHSU Educator Preparation Program FAQs site for additional information on testing and certification
Will I be placed at a campus for my observations and internship?
Per TEA, "you must secure a teaching assignment at the grade level and in the subject area of your target certificate." Sam Houston State University's ACP has partnerships with several Houston area districts. If you need assistance in finding a campus to complete your observation hours, please reach out to our program director for more information.
Can I apply to the program if I have a degree from another country?
Yes, candidates with out of county degrees are eligible to apply. You will need to have your transcript evaluated by a foreign credential evaluation service. More Information.
You will also need to fulfill at least one of the following requirements:
- Completion of an undergraduate or graduate degree at an accredited institution of higher education in the United States, not including US Territories.
- Completion of an undergraduate or graduate degree earned at an institution of higher education in a country outside of the United States approved by the State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC).
- Verification of minimum scaled scores on the Test of
English as a Foreign Language Internet-Based Test (TOEFL iBT).
To have scores submitted directly to TEA, use the entity code 8225 (State Board for Educator Certification). *If you are enrolling in an educator preparation program, please do not use this entity code. Contact your program for the correct code.
- Speaking 24
- Listening 22
- Reading 22
- Writing 21
Effective October 22, 2017, English language proficiency requirements have been amended, including new score requirements for the Test of English as a Foreign Language - Internet Based Test (TOEFL-iBT) [TAC §230.11(b)(5)(A-C)].
Dr. Holly MooreACP@shsu.edu