What is an Odyssey Grant?
The Odyssey Grant funds faculty to attend professional development conferences or workshops, where they can learn about active learning techniques. The application is open, with a rolling deadline. Educational conferences will have priority over educational sessions at a conference that is research focused. In compliance with the updated SHSU COVID-19 travel policy, applicants may apply to receive funding for in-person conferences/workshops.
These range from regularly scheduled workshop opportunities such as:
- the four annual workshops on inquiry-based learning in mathematics sponsored by the Academy of Inquiry Based Learning
- the several POGIL workshops held each year to introduce and experience Process Oriented Guided Inquiry Learning
- the STEMwrite Institute, a multi-day a sequenced workshop in faculty in the biological sciences develop brief, high-impact writing prompts to implement in large-enrollment introductory biology courses.
- The National Great Teachers movement hosts conferences and workshops for both face-to-face and online pedagogy.
- The International Writing Across the Curriculum conference in 2020, on using writing for teaching in all disciplines.
- The annual Conference for Undergraduate Educators hosted by the American Society for Microbiology.
- The Red Rock Great Teaching Retreat in Utah, an interdisciplinary discussion-based approach to improving teaching.
- Conference on Higher Education Pedagogy, for all disciplines.
To less frequent offerings that faculty may have only one chance to participate:
- the Serious Play Conference, a leadership conference for both those who create serious games/simulations and those who implement game-based learning programs
- The Small World Initiative symposium, a 3-day workshop showcasing the integration of antimicrobial research into a first-year biology course
How can you apply?
Applications for this cycle are currently open. If necessary, application intake will be paused to ensure funding is available for Spring/Summer applications.
Please refer to our example application for guidance.
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed and may be returned.