M.A. in Higher Education Administration

Program Description | Admission | Degree Requirements | Courses

Program Description

The Master of Arts in Higher Education Administration will prepare students for further doctoral studies and for mid-level administrative and leadership positions at higher education institutions. The program is designed to enhance career-related skills and will focus on student services, career services, enrollment management, residence life, financial aid, student success, resource allocation, and other administrative functions.

This degree may be completed with or without a thesis. Students seeking the M.A. in Higher Education Administration may also opt to pursue the Academic Advising Certificate.


Applicants seeking admission to the M.A. in Higher Education Administration must submit the following directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions:

  1. Graduate Application
  2. Application fee
  3. Official transcript from the baccalaureate degree granting institution
  4. Official GRE scores with quantitative, verbal, and written scores
  5. Three Reference Forms, two from supervisors and one from a colleague

Please contact the Department of Educational Leadership and Counseling for additional requirements:

Box 2119, Huntsville, Texas 77341 or by phone (936) 294-1147 or highered@shsu.edu.

Course Prerequisites are strictly observed.

Degree Requirements

The degree requires thirty hours of graduate coursework. A comprehensive examination is required during the final semester of coursework.

M.A. in Higher Education Administration


Choose all from:
HIED 5360 <ASE 560> History and Organization of Higher Education
HIED 5361 <ASE 561> Contemporary Issues in Higher Education
HIED 5362 <ASE 562> Higher Education Resource Management
HIED 5363 <ASE 563> Information Technology in Higher Education
HIED 5364 <ASE 564> Leadership in Higher Education
EDAD 5379 <ASE 579> Methods of Research
HIED 6372 <ASE 672> Practicum in Instructional Leadership
COUN 6360 <CNE 660> Student Services in Higher Education
COUN 5392 <CNE 592> Cross Cultural Issues in Counseling
HIED 5365                 Academic Affairs in Higher Education

2 Elective Choose one from:
Graduate courses1
1 Selection should be made in consultation with the Graduate Advisor.


Education Administration (EDAD)
Counseling (COUN)
Higher Education

Return to top

Sam Houston State Logo

Sam Houston State University | Huntsville, Texas 77341 | (936) 294-1111 | (866)BEARKAT Member TSUS
© Copyright Sam Houston State University | All rights reserved. | Contact Web Editor | Last Modified:MA in Higher Education Administration | Graduate Catalog 2013-15 | Sam Houston State University