Sam Houston State University, established in 1879 as the first teacher-training institution in the southwestern United States, is a multi-purpose university with more than 170 bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees. Our commitment to Texans is to continue to provide innovative and exemplary service in higher education.
More specifically, our goals concerning the university function are to:
- Maintain excellence in instruction, research, and public service.
- Secure and retain a highly qualified and dedicated faculty and support staff.
- Maintain high academic and professional standards for faculty, students, staff.
- Admit and retain qualified and motivated students.
- Provide a library of the highest quality capable of supporting instruction, research, and public service programs.
- Provide an intellectual and social climate conducive to the fullest development of students.
- Provide a state-of-the-art computer facility capable of supporting instruction, research, and public service programs.
- Admit transfer students from other degree-granting institutions and from junior or community colleges in accordance with applicable standards.
- Provide early admission programs to gifted high school students who meet the necessary entrance requirements.
- Provide the necessary physical facilities and resources for the attainment of the university's goals.
To assess how well we are accomplishing these goals, we offer several means for customers to rate our services or express concerns about problems, including two forms posted on the university website.
The university president appoints a customer relations representative. A Customer Service Complaint/Comment Form, also on the university website, will be forwarded by the customer relations representative to the appropriate university department within 24 hours of receipt (not including holidays or weekends). Survey and Complaint/Comment forms are also available by mail or fax by contacting the customer relations representative.
The customer relations representative may be contacted using this information:
Customer Relations Representative
Sam Houston State University
Huntsville, TX 77341-2105
(936) 294-1834 (fax)
Each entity within the university has a customer satisfaction assessment process in accordance with principles recommended by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).
Our Customer Service Pledge
Sam Houston State University's reputation is that of a friendly, caring educational institution. We will maintain this ideal in relationships with customers. We pledge to:
- Answer customer service concerns quickly and clearly (within 10 working days).
- See customers within 10 minutes of their appointment time.
- Process applications for admission within three days.
- Process inquiries/requests for financial aid promptly, dependent on where each falls in the processing cycle of the award year, with written responses to questions and/or complaints provided within the week the inquiry/request is received, and written appeal letters responded to within 10 days.
- Process all forms within the Office of the Registrar within 24 hours, including Address Change Form, Application for Degree, Request for Change of Name, Request for Change of Social Security Number, Request for Copy of Official Transcript, Request for Enrollment Verification, Resignation Request, and Summer Transient Student--Request for Exemption.
- Process applications for housing within 3-5 working days, depending on when during the application/assignment cycle the application is received.
- Answer recorded phone messages or e-mail within 24 hours (not including holidays or weekends). When automated telephone routing systems are used, customers may expect to speak to a live voice or individual work station within the second level of contact.
- Provide accurate printed and electronic information. (The university website address is: www.shsu.edu.)
- Do everything reasonably possible to make our services available to everyone, including those with disabilities, under the principles of equal opportunity and non-discrimination.