Fire Statistics

The purpose of this report is to document all fires that occurred on the properties owned, occupied or leased by Sam Houston State University This report is in compliance with the Higher Education Opportunity Act (Public Law 110-315).

Fire Statistics: From 2013 – Present

01/29/2013, 10:04 AM - Officers were dispatched to the Smith-Hutson Building (1821 Avenue I) at 10:04 AM in reference to a report of a fire.  Upon arrival, an officer noted smoke on the floor of the the building and met with a university electrician who reported that an elevator motor had burned up. The building was evacuated and members of the Huntsville Fire Department arrived and confirmed the situation.  The building was reopened at 12:15 PM for normal operations.

Number of Deaths:  None
Number of Injuries: None
Value of Damaged Property: $2000.00
Cause of Fire: Unknown

05/08/2013, 9:43 AM - An officer responded to 1600 Avenue I (Rachael Jackson Hall) at 9:43 AM in reference to smoke coming from a dryer vent.  Upon inspection, it was determined that a female university student was drying a pair of boots in the dryer.  The boots rubber soles melted causing the dryer to overheat.  Inspection by maintenance personnel indicated that there was no damage to the dryer and further stated that the debris from the boots caused the smoke in the dryer (137048).

Number of Deaths:  None
Number of Injuries: None
Value of Damaged Property: None
Cause of Fire: No actual fire, drying boots in dryer at high temperature.

09/03/2013, 11:57 PM - An officer was dispatched to the 900 block of Bowers Boulevard (university parking area) in reference to a report of a vehicle fire.  Upon arrival, officer retrieved a fire extinguisher from a nearby residence hall and extinguished the flames.  The Huntsville Fire Department also arrived on scene to extinguish the flames (13-12579).

Number of Deaths:  None
Number of Injuries:  None
Value of Damaged Property:  Unknown
Cause of Fire:  Located in engine compartment, unknown.

10/19/2013, 9:44 AM - An officer responded to the University Hotel (1640 Bobby K Marks) in reference to a report of smoke.  Upon arrival, the officer located smoke on the fourth floor of the building.  An air handler was found to be operating with a smoldering substance.  The Huntsville Fire Department and university maintenance staff responded and there appeared to be no damage to personal or private property (13-15671).
Number of Deaths:  None
Number of Injuries:  None
Value of Property Damage:  None
Cause of Fire:  Air handler malfunction.

10/28/2013, 7:06 PM - An officer was dispatched to Raven Nest Golf Course (457 IH-45 South) at 7:06 PM in reference to a report of a small fire.  Upon arrival, a small fire was located that had been put out.  It appears from the evidence at the scene that a cigarette was tossed onto a pile of cardboard igniting it.  No actual building damages were noted (13-16296).
Number of Deaths:  None
Number of Injuries:  None
Value of Property Damage:  None:

Cause of Fire:  Cigarette thrown onto cardboard pile.

13-17159, 9:48 PM, Fire – Officer was dispatched to Raven Village, located at 2133 Avenue I, in reference to a vehicle fire.  Upon arrival, the officer observed a silver 4-door passenger vehicle with light smoke coming from it.  Upon making contact with the owner he stated he attempted to start his vehicle and observed flames from the driver’s air vent.  At that time he extinguished the fire with a nearby fire extinguisher from Raven Village.  The Huntsville Fire Department was already dispatched and arrived on scene.  Additionally, the university safety coordinator was notified of the incident as well.  A report was filed.
Number of Deaths:  None
Number of Injuries:  None
Value of Property Damage:  Unknown (not a university vehicle)
Cause of Fire:  Unknown (non-university property/private).

06/04/2014, 14-8210 - 12:21 AM - Fire - A fire alarm was received from White Hall and when Officers arrived on scene they observed smoke on the first floor of the south side of the building.  Contact was made with the Hall Director to determine if there were any residents in White Hall at the
time.  According to the Hall Director, there were two residents and Officers made sure that those
residents were evacuated.  The Huntsville Fire Department arrived on scene and they determined that the fire was extinguished and did not spread to any other portion of the building.  The cause of the heavy smoke appears to have come from an emergency lighting fixture that caught fire and melted. Physical Plant, Alarm Maintenance, and the University Safety Officer were notified of the
fire and all of them responded to White Hall to assess the situation and make repairs needed for the remainder of the night.

Number of Deaths:  None

Number of Injuries:  None

Value of Property Damage:  Unknown
Cause of Fire:  Emergency Lighting unit melted or caught fire.  Fire did not spread to any other portion of building.

08/28/2014, 14-12131, Fire Alarm:  At 4:10 PM, an officer was dispatched to Elliot Hall, located at 1006 17th Street, in reference to active Fire Panel Alarm. Upon arrival, the officer discovered that an unknown person attempted to re-heat food in an aluminum take-out container in the microwave located in the laundry room. This action caused the container to burn triggering the fire alarm. The laundry room was ventilated and there was no further signs of danger to the residents with them being allowed back into the dormitory.

Number of Deaths:  None

Number of Injuries:  None

Value of Property Damage:  $325 (Replace Microwave)

Cause of Fire:  Improper use of a microwave by unknown individual.

09/05/2014, 14-12611, Fire: At 12:23 PM, an officer was dispatched to the Raven Village Complex, located at 2133 Avenue I, in reference to an active fire alarm. Upon arrival, the Officer learned a resident had attempted to cook food in the microwave inside a dorm room, which caused a small fire. The fire was extinguished by the student and Resident Advisor with residents being allowed to return to their rooms after the scene was secured. A report was filed.

Number of Deaths: None

Number of Injuries: None

Value of Property Damage: $325 (Replace Microwave)
Cause of Fire:  Improper use of microwave by a student in a residence.

10/14/2014, 14-15119, Fire:  At 10:43 AM, an officer was dispatched to the CHSS Building (1901 Avenue I) in reference to a report of a small fire in a men's restroom trash can located on the second floor of the building.  The cause of the fire was not determined and the incident has been referred to the Office of Risk Management for further review.  A report was completed in reference to this incident.

Number of Deaths:  None

Number of Injuries:  None

Value of Property Damage: None

Cause of Fire: Possible cigarette thrown into trashcan.

14-15333, Fire: At 11:23 PM, officers were dispatched to Lonestar Hall, located at 910 Bearkat Boulevard, in reference to an active supervisory fire alarm inside one of the dorm rooms located on the 3rd floor. Officers arrived and found the dorm room in question unoccupied and full of heavy smoke. Due to the amount of smoke inside the room and not knowing the source of the smoke all residents were evacuated for their safety. The Huntsville Fire Department, SHSU Risk Management, Residence Life Maintenance, Residence Life Alarm Maintenance and the Residence Hall Director were summoned to the scene. It was later determined that the water heater electrical panel had shorted out causing a small electrical fire. Once the Huntsville Fire Department, SHSU Risk Management, Residence Life Maintenance, Residence Life Alarm Maintenance and the Residence Hall Director deemed the building safe to be occupied by residents they were allowed to return to their rooms.

Number of Deaths:  None
Number of Injuries: None
Value Property Damage:  Unknown at this time.

Cause of Fire:  An electrical panel shorted out on a water heater causing a small electrical fire.


Sam Houston State Logo

Sam Houston State University | Huntsville, Texas 77341 | (936) 294-1111 | (866)BEARKAT Member TSUS
© Copyright Sam Houston State University | All rights reserved. | Contact Web Editor