These are some simple steps you can take to prevent crime and increase your safety.
- Report suspicious activity immediately to the University Police Department at (936)294-1794, or the UPD emergency line (936)294-1000.
- Be aware of your surroundings. If you are concerned about your safety, ask a friend to accompany you or utilize the University Police Department’s Escort Program by contacting the department. The University Police Department offers escorts 24 hours a day for students, staff or faculty to walk with them to their on-campus locations. Safety is best achieved when you travel in numbers, either with a friend, group or a UPD escort.
- Be observant. Make sure that you are aware of your environment. It is advisable that you familiarize yourself with buildings and landmarks on/off campus.
- Lock your vehicle and residence doors, even when you are at home. Theft is the most reported crime at Sam Houston State University, but many of these crimes can be averted when you eliminate temptation. When possible, take your valuables with you or secure them out of sight in a locked compartment or trunk. Laptops, computers, purses, briefcases, wallets, cell phones and other small electronics are easy and popular targets for thieves.
- Register your valuables with the University Police Department on MySam. Anything that enables the University Police Department to identify an item as belonging to a particular student helps with the property recovery. Engraving your student Sam ID number or Driver’s License number (ex. TX- xxxxxxxx) on the back of the valuable item will help to identify the owner of the property.
- Do not prop exterior doors to residence halls open. Access to residence halls is restricted to only students that reside in their prospective hall.
- Whether staying on or off campus, learn the emergency evacuation plan and routes for your residence and classrooms. Pay attention to any announcements or emergency notifications that could occur.
- Trust your instincts. If you feel uncomfortable in a place or situation, leave the area.
- Keep your friends and family informed about where you are and who you are with. It is important that you know and trust the people you will be living with. Get acquainted with your roommate(s) and exchange phone numbers, and also let them know who your emergency contacts are.
- Always carry a charged cell phone or a way to contact someone in case of emergencies. Know whom to call. Preprogram the University Police Department’s phone number into your phone.
- In the event of an emergency on campus, contact the University Police Department via the emergency line at (936)294-1000 or (936)294-1794, or the Huntsville/Walker County Emergency Communications Center via 911. Emergency call boxes are also located on campus and provide a direct line to the University Police Department.
If you have any questions regarding safety on or off campus, contact us.
Charles W. Tackett Police Building
2424 Sam Houston Avenue
Huntsville, Texas 77341
|Non-Emergency Phone: (936)-294-1794 or 4-1794 On-Campus|
|Emergency Phone Number: (936)-294-1000 or 4-1000 On-Campus|
|Fax: (936) 294-3417|