Spring 2013 Workshop Calendar coming soon!
Financial Literacy Week was a big success! We want to congratulate the winners of the organization contest!
Omega Delta Phi - 1st place
Theta Chi - 2nd place
Talented Tenth - 3rd place
We also want to congratulate our scholarship winners: Benjamin, Sean, and Aubrie! Thank you all for participating!
The SHSU Student Money Management Center (SMMC) is a financial outreach and educational program administered by the Sam Houston State University Division of Student Services.
The Mission of the Student Money Management Center is to improve the financial well-being of our students by providing the unbiased education, counseling, tools, and solutions students need in order to achieve financial independence.
In an effort to help combat financial illiteracy and the growing amounts of debt among college students, Sam Houston State University, Division of Student Services initiated the Student Money Management Center (SMMC) at the beginning of the Fall 2008 semester.
Services We Provide
The Student Money Management Center offers financial literacy outreach to the students in the form of seminars and workshops on a number of financial literacy topics, including but not limited to:
- Good Credit vs. Bad Credit
- How to Be A Smart Shopper
- Preventing Identity Theft
- Saving Money
- Setting Financial Goals
- Protecting Your Credit
The goal of the Money Management Center outreach program is for students to:
- Learn how to identify and track expenses during and after college
- Create a financial survival plan for college
- Graduate with a plan for repaying your student loans and personal debt
- Locate external financial education resources
- Talk to trained professionals about personal financial decisions and issues in a confidential and comfortable environment.
- Create a personalized budget for your upcoming semester or year at SHSU
- Learn how to obtain, interpret, and understand your personal credit report/score.
- Understand employee benefits packages and retirement plans prior to accepting a career opportunity
Services We Do Not Provide
The Money Management Center does NOT provide the following:
- Investment Advice
- Referrals to specific financial institutions
- Tax Advice
The Student Money Management Center is now offering private, individualized financial counseling and financial planning sessions from certified professionals and peers. Consultations with professional counselors are done by appointment only. Walk-in hours are available for consultations with peer counselors. Please contact us to set up your appointment today!
Peer Counseling Walk-in Hours:
Monday, Wednesday, and Friday:
9:00am - 11:00am
1:00pm - 3:00pm
Tuesday and Thursday:
8:00am - 12:00pm
Professional Counseling by appointment only:
Monday to Friday: 8:00am - 5:00pm
Four easy ways to schedule an appointment:
- Complete a Student Intake Form online
- Visit us in the Estill Building, Suite 228
- Call us at 936-294-2600
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org