College of Humanities and Social Sciences
All applications are entered via the ScholarX program.
Department of English
Department of Foreign Languages
Department of History
Department of Political Science
Department of Psychology & Philosophy
Department of Sociology
Department of Speech Communications
A. Students must be English majors (or Journalism for Mary McAshan Gibbs Scholarship).
B. Students must apply in person (Evans 458) or be nominated by faculty member(s) of Sam Houston State University (usually members of English faculty but not exclusively so).
- DONALD L. STALLING GRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP IN ENGLISH: Amount varies. Must be enrolled in Master of Arts in the English degree program. Must have an exceptional academic record. Must earn strong recommendation of scholarship committee made up of the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, Department/Division Chairman of English, Director Graduate Studies in English, and senior ranking tenured faculty member(s) of the English Department.
- DOROTHY B. RUSHING SCHOLARSHIP FOR TEACHER IN ENGLISH: Amount varies. Female English major in good standing in the secondary teacher certification program. Junior or senior status with at least six semester hours of lower division credit at SHSU. GPA must be 3.0 or better in all SHSU work; 3.5 in English. Has demonstrated exceptional potential as a future teacher of English.
- EDICE MILLER HINES SCHOLARSHIP: Amount varies. English majors in the teacher certification program. Must have completed a minimum of 45 semester hours of credit. Must have exhibited high moral standards.
- GENEVIEVE SANDHOP ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP: Two Scholarships, both have a GPA requirement of 3.00 in English, and a deadline of February 28th. Scholarship #1: $3,000 per year. Recipient must be a full-time junior majoring in English, have taken both freshmen and sophomore English at SHSU, be seeking to become certified to teach high school English and have the intention to graduate from SHSU Scholarship #2: Recipient must be a full-time sophomore, junior, senior or graduate student with a major or minor in English, have taken freshman English at SHSU and have the intention to graduate from SHSU.
- J. PHILIP GIBBS, JR. ENGLISH SCHOLARSHIP: $500 -- $1,000. English major enrolled in B.A. degree program. Completed 15 (or more) hours of English, including six hours of lower division English at Sam Houston State University. GPA in all SHSU work of at least 3.3. Must be of good moral character and has demonstrated leadership qualities in and outside the English Department. Should have exhibited intellectual curiosity, enterprise, and initiative.
- KATY & E. DON WALKER SR. ENDOWMENT FUND: Amount varies. Must be ranked as a sophomore, junior, or senior who has declared English, Theatre or Speech as a major. Must have demonstrated financial need and have met the academic requirements. Must maintain a 3.0 GPA. Scholarships are presented in April of each year and recipients are encouraged to repay the Endowment Funds on an interest-free basis on or before 10 years from graduation; payment shall not be a condition to any school scholarships.
- MARY McASHAN GIBBS ENGLISH/JOURNALISM SCHOLARSHIP: $400 -- $1,000. Female English or Journalism major. Must have completed a minimum of 64 semester hours credit but not exceeded 94hours (scholarship is designed for sophomores and juniors) and have an overall GPA of 2.0. Must have demonstrated leadership both within and outside the English Department; also, must have exhibited good moral character, initiative, enterprise, and intellectual curiosity. Preference will be given to students who meet the minimum qualifications stated above and have completed all their course work at SHSU.
- RUTHANNAH BROWN SCHOLARSHIP IN THE TEACHING OF ENGLISH: Amount varies. Must have graduated in the upper 15 percent of high school class. Must be an English major in the Bachelor of Arts degree with certification. Must have completed 23 semester hours at SHSU with an overall GPA of 3.0 and GPA in English of at least 3.3; also, 12 of the semester hours completed must be in English and a foreign language. Scholarship is renewable, subject to recommendation of scholarship committee.
- WELDON HALL, JR. ENDOWMENT IN ENGLISH: Amount varies. Scholarship is available to a Freshman student or transfer student who is enrolling at SHSU for the first time. Recipient must have graduated in the top ten percent of high school class, have a high school or community college GPA of at least 3.3, or have an ACT English score of at least 26. Recipient must be enrolled in a BA program and majoring in English. Deadline for application submission is July 15 each year.
- TEXAS REVIEW PRESS CREATIVE WRITING SCHOLARSHIP: $500 per year; Recipient must be a full-time undergraduate (sophomore, junior or senior) or graduate student majoring in English with a creative writing emphasis, and have a publishing background in poetry, fiction or creative non-fiction. GPA requirement 3.0 overall; 3.2 in major. Application submission deadline: April 15th.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Mid-FEBRUARY unless otherwise specified. For further information contact Department of English at (936)294-1404.
- FOREIGN LANGUAGE PROGRAM SCHOLARSHIP FUND: The scholarship fund was established in honor of Dr. Hanna Lewis upon her retirement from Sam Houston State University to provide financial assistance to worthy foreign language majors who have met the following criteria: Recipient must (1) be a full time student enrolled at Sam Houston State University, with a filed degree plan showing a major in Spanish, French, or German; (2) be a junior or senior with at least 30 semester hours in residence at Sam Houston State University; (3) maintain a 3.0 GPA or above in his/her major language; (4) and must have completed at least six advanced semester hours in his/her major language at SHSU. It is the Program's wish that the scholarship be awarded in a two-year cycle: alternate years in (1) Spanish and (2) French or German. The first scholarship was in Spanish, the second in French or German with the same sequence followed thereafter. If there are no eligible applicants in the year of a given language being the scholarship language, the scholarship will be awarded to a major in the other language(s).
- MOZELLE POWELL SPANISH ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP: $1,000 per year. Recipient must be a full-time undergraduate student in good standing enrolled at Sam Houston State University and majoring or minoring in Spanish and demonstrate financial need. GPA of 2.50 is required.
- SEOLA ARNAUD AND R. V. EDWARDS, JR. FRENCH ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP: $1,000 per year. Recipient must be a full-time undergraduate or graduate student in good standing enrolled at Sam Houston State University with a minor in French. GPA of 2.50 is required. Application deadline is February 15th.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: FEBRUARY 27 unless otherwise specified. For further information contact Department of Foreign Languages at (936)294-1441.
- BEN H. POWELL AWARD: Amounts vary. One award given annually to a History major who shows excellent and high character values. Awards contingent upon receipts enrolling for classes at SHSU during subsequent academic year.
- JAMES ELLISON KIRKLEY SCHOLARSHIP: Two awards (amount varies) to majors in history, political science, geography or sociology. Recipients are selected on basis of high academic achievement.
- JOHN PAYNE SCHOLARSHIP: One award (amount varies) awarded annually to the outstanding history major.
- JOAN VERILLI SCHOLARSHIP: One award (amount varies) awarded annually to a history major who exhibits great strength of character in achieving academic success
- LYMAN AND JANET BILHARTZ SCHOLARSHIP: $2,000 per year; Recipient must be a full-time undergraduate student, majoring in History, with a minor in Premedical. Must maintain an overall GPA of 3.4, or have attained a minimum SAT score of 1200 if an entering freshman. Application deadline April 1.
- TEMPLE FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP: Awarded annually to a History Major who exhibits unusually high scholarly ability. Award amount varies.
- WILLIAM N. BOEHME ENDOWMENT: One scholarship (amount varies) awarded to a graduate student majoring in History with a minimum overall 3.0 GPA.
- ROBERT FULTON BATTISE "CHIEF KINA" SCHOLARSHIP: Amount varies. Two annual scholarships awarded to undergraduate students at SHSU. One scholarship is awarded specifically to a member of the Alabama-Coushatta Tribe. The other is awarded to a member of any Native American tribe. All applicants must have proof of tribal membership.
- THOMAS M. CAMFIELD SCHOLARSHIP: Amount varies. Awarded to a history major on the basis of high academic achievement. Prospective recipients must have a minimum 3.0 GPA and junior or senior standing.
- VIVIAN REID MEHR SCHOLARSHIP: $500 per semester; Recipient must be a full-time undergraduate student enrolled at SHSU and majoring in any discipline; entering or returning to college after raising a family or planning a second career. 3.0 GPA requirement. Application deadline is March 1.
- JOAN L. COFFEY SCHOLARSHIP: $1000 per year; Recipient must be a graduate student enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours, majoring in history, be currently teaching history at the secondary school level or higher, or studying to become a history teacher at such a level. Preference will be given to non-traditional students returning to school, and/or to students teaching European and/or World History. 3.0 GPA requirement. Application deadline Feb. 1.
- JOHN AND LOUIE PAYNE SCHOLARSHIP: $3,000 per year. Recipient must be a full-time undergraduate student in good standing; have completed sufficient academic hours to be classified a junior or senior; be majoring in American History; demonstrate financial need. GPA of 3.00 is required. Application deadline is February 1st.
- INGRID SCHOLARSHIP: $2,000 per year. Recipient must be a full-time or part-time undergraduate or graduate student in good standing; majoring in history; be a graduate of Klein Oak High School in Spring, Texas. Preference will be given to a student that was a member of the Klein Oak High School band. GPA of 2.00 is required. Application deadline is March 1st.
- ROGER OLSON HISTORY ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP: $ 500 per year. Recipient must by a full-time junior or senior in good standing, majoring in history. Financial need will by a consideration, but not a determining factor. GPA of 3.20 required. Application Deadline March 1st.
For further information contact the Department of History, at (936)294-1475, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ANTHONY KAWSI ANTIWI POLITICAL SCIENCE SCHOLARSHIP: Sophomore standing, 2.5 GPA overall and in Political Science, 24 credit hours at SHSU, 12 hours in Political Science. Financial need must be demonstrated.
- HALINA M. LUKASZEWSKI MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP: Chemistry or Political Science Major (inquire as to availability and criteria of this award). Junior Standing. 3.0 GPA average.
- JAMES ELLISON KIRKLEY SCHOLARSHIP: Two awards, varying amounts; history, political science, geography or sociology majors, selected on basis of high academic achievement. Junior standing.
- POLITICAL SCIENCE SCHOLARSHIP: Awards are made to able men and women of good character who are majoring or minoring in Political Science; completed 12 hours of course work in Political Science (9 hours at SHSU), 3.0 overall GPA, 3.3 GPA in Political Science. Number and amount of awards vary.
- JUDGE JOHN MARTIN POLITICAL SCIENCE SCHOLARSHIP: Unspecified amount. Preference given to students from Montgomery, Polk, San Jacinto and Trinity counties. Recipient must have an interest in the law or in teaching political science. Applicants must submit an essay and two letters of recommendation. GPA of 3.0 is required. Application submission deadline is 10 days prior to the end of each fall and spring semester.
- DR. JOHN HOLCOMBE ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP: $800 per year. Recipient must be in good standing; be a political science major or a political science intern; and have a minimum GPA of 2.70 when the scholarship is awarded. A strong preference will be given to applicants with an internship outside of Huntsville or who have a documented record of public service. This is a one-semester scholarship award. Application deadline if July 15th for the Fall Semester and December 1st for the Spring Semester.
- EDWIN S. DAVIS PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION GRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP: Recipient must be a full-time graduate student (taking a minimum of 6 credit hrs per semester) in good standing, and enrolled at Sam Houston State University; be majoring in Public Administration; demonstrate financial need; and maintain a minimum overall GPA of 3.0.
For further information contact the Department of Political Science, at (936)294-1457, email@example.com.
- JAMES WEBER SCHOLARSHIP: Amount varies, 3.0 GPA, second year graduate student in Psychology.
- JOHN SYMONDS SCHOLARSHIP: Amount varies, 3.0 GPA, Junior standing. Psychology major.
- RICHARD CORDING ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP: Amount varies. Scholarship awarded to a sophomore, junior, or senior majoring in Philosophy. Deadline for application submission is April 1 each year.
- THOMAS W. SATRE ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP: Approximately $250 per year. Scholarship awarded to a student who is progressing toward either a major or minor in Philosophy or is enrolled in at least one philosophy course for the academic semester in question and be deemed deserving by the Coordinator of the Philosophy Program. Deadline for application submission is April 1 each year.
- JIM UMBEHR MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP: $1000 per year. Recipient must be a full-time senior or graduate student in good standing, majoring in Psychology; not be eligible to receive a federal loan; and demonstrate financial need with a written essay. GPA of 3.50 is required. Application deadline is 12/10/08.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: APRIL 1. For further information contact the Department Psychology and Philosophy, at (936)294-3052.
- DEPARTMENT OF SOCIOLOGY SCHOLARSHIP: Sociology major, enrolled at SHSU for one academic year; student recognized for past academic achievements and potential contributions to discipline of sociology.
- RUTH A. DeBLANC SCHOLARSHIP: $500-$3000 per semester. Recipient must be a graduate student enrolled at SHSU in a minimum of six credit hours and majoring in Sociology; demonstrate financial need. GPA requirement 3.0 overall. Application submission deadline is Oct. 1st-Feb 1st.
- PROFESSOR RAMSEY M. WOODS SOCIOLOGY ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP: Recipient must be a full-time student, in good standing, enrolled at Sam Houston State University, majoring in Sociology. GPA of 3.00 is required. Application deadline is April 1st (for Fall) and November 1st (for Spring).
- DAN AND DONNA BETO SOCIOLOGY SCHOLARSHIP: $500 per year. Recipient must be a full-time undergraduate or graduate student (with preference given to graduate students) in good standing majoring in Sociology. GPA of 3.00 is required. Application deadlines are 02/15 and 09/15.
- WALTER AND MINNIE BENNETT SCHOLARSHIP: $1,000 per year. Recipient must be a full-time undergraduate (freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior) student in good standing; majoring in sociology; demonstrate a particular interest in the study of marriage and family or community. Financial need will be a consideration, but not a determining factor. GPA of 3.00 is required. Application deadline is October 15th.
- RUTH A. DE BLANC ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP: $1,000 per year. The endowment will provide funding for one or more annual scholarship awards, to a graduate student in good standing, enrolled in a minimum of six credit hours; a minimum of $1,000 each, be majoring in sociology; demonstrate financial need; and maintain a minimum overall GPA of 3.0. special consideration shall be given to women and racial ethnic minorities. Application deadline is March 15th.
- GARRY AND MARJORIE PRINCE SOCIOLOGY SCHOLARSHIP: $1,000 per year. One or more annual scholarships of $1,000; student must be full time of any specific class (or part-time taking a minimum of 6-9 hours), majoring in sociology. demonstrating financial need and maintaining an overall GPA of 3.0. Application deadline is March 22nd.
For further information contact the Department of Sociology, at (936)294-1512.
- EARL HUFFOR SCHOLARSHIPS: Awarded to outstanding forensics competitors. Recipients are selected by speech faculty. Applicants must be currently enrolled at SHSU. (Application deadline: SPRING)
- E.E. "PETE" SEALE SCHOLARSHIPS: Awarded to outstanding speech communication majors. Recipients are selected by Speech faulty. Applicants must be currently enrolled at SHSU. (Application deadline: SPRING)
- KATY & E. DON WALKER SR. ENDOWMENT SCHOLARSHIPS: Granted to sophomore, junior and senior students who have declared English, Theatre, or Speech as their majors, have demonstrated financial need, and have maintained a 3.0 grade point average. (Application deadline: APRIL1st)
For further information contact the Department of Speech Communications, at (936)294-1512, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Unless otherwise specified, the deadline for all scholarship applications is February 1st. For further information contact the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, SHSU Box 2509, Huntsville, TX 77341, phone (936)294-2200, fax (936)294-2207.